Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Basic home audio stuffs (mbm and co.)

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Subs are a total fucking mystery to me.

Sub is connected with RCA's. Two connections into the sub, one into the receiver in the "subwoofer pre out" port. Play 5.1 movie. Sub does nothing. This was the same problem I had with it before. It seems to have a mind of it's own. The auto-on feature never works at all. If I'm watching a movie and want to use it I have to physically reach behind it and turn it on. And even then it may decide to play bass stuff or it might sit there totally fking silent. Not sure if the sub is shit or my receiver is shit. I'm leaning toward the sub.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #82
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Subs are a total fucking mystery to me.
    Sub is connected with RCA's. Two connections into the sub, one into the receiver in the "subwoofer pre out" port. Play 5.1 movie. Sub does nothing. This was the same problem I had with it before. It seems to have a mind of it's own. The auto-on feature never works at all. If I'm watching a movie and want to use it I have to physically reach behind it and turn it on. And even then it may decide to play bass stuff or it might sit there totally fking silent. Not sure if the sub is shit or my receiver is shit. I'm leaning toward the sub.
    Just a few questions Skiz...

-Are you using a Y rca cable to merge the L & R connections from the sub Yes or NO?? Then a single connection straight to the amp not 2??
    If you don't have a Y rca cable just choose L or R single connection and only one connection goes to the Amp (if there are 2 sub output(just should read sub not 5.1 or anything else) try either one til you get sound plus go buy a Y cable for a better connection if you don't have one

I don't remember if you posted the model of the Amp but in all cases there should be a sub output?? try using that Then do a test on speaker connections so you know the amp is recognizing whatever is connected..

And you can also check the volume on the sub and make sure it is 50% or more....
    And plug the electric plug from the sub in the wall not the amp

Troubleshooting....

-Make sure on the amp the Sub channel is turned on in settings....(set fronts to small for now until you get sound coming out of sub in tests
    -Still no sound try a different rca cable but remember only single rca connection goes to the amp

PS.. Not saying you didn't know all of this already Skiz just made a check list for you .....
    Remember that is 2 connections for 2 separate subs
    Attachment 165304
    Report back if all of this didn't work Skiz.......
    Last edited by shaina; 01-23-2016 at 07:25 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #83
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post

Just a few questions Skiz...

-Are you using a Y rca cable to merge the L & R connections from the sub Yes or NO?? Then a single connection straight to the amp not 2??
    If you don't have a Y rca cable just choose L or R single connection and only one connection goes to the Amp (if there are 2 sub output(just should read sub not 5.1 or anything else) try either one til you get sound plus go buy a Y cable for a better connection if you don't have one
    No Y cables or anything special. Just a normal RCA cable. Both connectors plugged in to the sub. Only one connection plugged in to the receiver. Seems really odd to me but that's the way people on Google said to do it. Why would I plug in both to the sub if I'm only plugging in one to the receiver...?

I'm plugged in like this.

I don't remember if you posted the model of the Amp but in all cases there should be a sub output?? try using that Then do a test on speaker connections so you know the amp is recognizing whatever is connected..

And you can also check the volume on the sub and make sure it is 50% or more....
    And plug the electric plug from the sub in the wall not the amp
    Yamaha RX-V375

Sub output plug...I think that's what I'm plugged in to right (see above photo).

Sub "volume" is set right at about 50%. Once I stray beyond that a hum begins to be audible.

Troubleshooting....

-Make sure on the amp the Sub channel is turned on in settings....(set fronts to small for now until you get sound coming out of sub in tests
    -Still no sound try a different rca cable but remember only single rca connection goes to the amp
    PS.. Not saying you didn't know all of this already Skiz just made a check list for you .....
    Remember that is 2 connections for 2 separate subs
    Attachment 165304
    Report back if all of this didn't work Skiz.......
    Sub channel is on in settings. Again, when I manually flip the rear switch, it works...sometimes.

Have tried 2 different cables.
    Last edited by Skiz; 01-24-2016 at 05:21 AM.

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #84
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Looks right Skiz (But just use the one connection into the sub and to the amp (L or R, and pull the one not connected to anything else out, it is not needed for now unless you do have a Y connector and never turn the sub power switch off always leave it on)

Try turning the Mixer (or whatever it is called) knob up to 75-80% on the sub , and check on the amp the sub volume is not on full(if it is lower that one and raise sub to 75%), that may be causing the buzzing noise...(that is a trial and error crap.... Patients my friend)

Did you do a channel/speaker test?? (you hear the distortion noise on each speaker connected and sub )...there should be a button on the remote to do that......

To be honest a Y cable may fix that
    Attachment 165305
    Attachment 165306

Also you could connect the sub the speaker wire way as well and see if that gives you better results (not really sure if it will tho, but trial and error thing..)

Also is there any legs or bottom protectors on the sub?? You could try to raise the sub off the carpet

And what settings are you using on the Amp to test the sound?? Try putting it in stereo mode only, and see if you are getting Boom Boom!!
    No matter what you fiddle with on the amp Skiz without some sort of rear speakers connected (i don't care where they are placed , just for the amp to register the 5 speakers connected), really that is the way they are designed to operate in certain modes

Skiz just keep patients, and fiddle around with the volume levels..Once it is all done then it is set and you are done.....

Sorry Skiz because it is not in front of me ,The first question i really should have asked you is what are you using/connected to the amp to test the sound signals??(eg. cable box, media box, blu ray straight to TV etc...??)....You don't need to have anything connected to test the speaker connections, but what you are using to broadcast may change quality etc. on the sub, and speakers, and how it is being picked up.....

Trial and error sooner or later will work Skiz

Regards
    Shay

PS. Meg....
    Your suggestions are welcome, if you can think of something else
    Last edited by shaina; 01-24-2016 at 07:27 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #85
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    TV purchased. Polk Monitor 75T's purchased. All are en route.

The gf didn't like the idea of having such a big tv, so somehow it turns out that if I buy a white tv stand, that'll make her ok with it. So I gotta buy one of those too.

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #86
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Cawk teasers!! Ordered two speakers. Got one speaker delivered today! One!

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #87
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    DOH! Are you supposed to get the other one tomorrow, or are you waiting through the weekend now?

Sorry, haven't been watching this thread lately. Did you get the sub figured out? If not, I'll look at how mine is configured. As Shay pointed out, there are quite a few configurations.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 02-06-2016 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #88
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Sorry, haven't been watching this thread lately. Did you get the sub figured out? If not, I'll look at how mine is configured. As Shay pointed out, there are quite a few configurations.
    To be honest... I only have one powered sub that will connect with the speaker configuration (out of 4). The rest you have to use RCA/Composite connections (and i use Y connector of course ). If i remember correctly Meg you are using 12" subs, and i would think you have them connected with RCA/Composite, But that would be just a guess

But i would suggest when Skiz gets his other speaker delivered(fuckin retarded!! , and really sounds like a reputable place where they were purchased), I would try the speaker wire way and not use the RCA connection at all...(again trial and error thing)

As for the White TV Stand Skiz .... IKEA!!! here we come!!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #89
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    DOH! Are you supposed to get the other one tomorrow, or are you waiting through the weekend now?

No worries.

Haven't tinkered with the sub any further. I'll just see how things go once everything is hooked up and go from there.

Newegg did it through one of those third party delivery services so who knows. The tracking says it's here in town so maybe if I'm lucky it'll be here tomorrow. Latest Monday. The one I did receive is really fucking big. Much larger than I remembered in my head when I did some measuring last year.

To be honest... I only have one powered sub that will connect with the speaker configuration (out of 4). The rest you have to use RCA/Composite connections (and i use Y connector of course ). If i remember correctly Meg you are using 12" subs, and i would think you have them connected with RCA/Composite, But that would be just a guess

But i would suggest when Skiz gets his other speaker delivered(fuckin retarded!! , and really sounds like a reputable place where they were purchased), I would try the speaker wire way and not use the RCA connection at all...(again trial and error thing)

As for the White TV Stand Skiz .... IKEA!!! here we come!!
    I was thinking IKEA as well. I showed the gf one from the website and she liked it. Could it really be that easy? First one I find and she likes it? Feels like a trap.

yo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #90
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Those are big speakers. I teetered between my 60s and the 70s and I just did not have room for the larger ones. I think you'll enjoy the sound, though. Will be happy to help with the sub when you get back to tinkering with it. I suspect you'll be pleased with the increase in bass compared to what you've been getting- especially if the sub has not been engaging.

If for some reason I don't catch your questions, feel free to grab my attention with a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast