Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic home audio stuffs (mbm and co.)

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I've been through 2 analog/digital converters now with less than satisfactory results. Time to move on.

I'm poking around on Craigslist for receivers and speakers again.

How about this for $270? (I'll try to haggle a bit) It's listed at $650 new on Amazon - http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4322184672.html

As for speakers to go with it, I plucked these off Amazon in like 30 seconds. Simple. Not too tall. Good reviews. - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-5000-...1985708&sr=1-3

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Personally, I've never really liked the sound of Yamaha receivers. If I had to describe it, I'd say "flat, non-dynamic, lifeless". If you are looking to piece a system together as budget permits, I strongly recommend a mid-level+ Onkyo receiver and Polk speakers. You can even purchase some of the smaller Polks to begin with, then later use them as your surrounds. You just won't beat the combo for most enjoyment for the dollar. Wait until you've got about $800, then buy the "heart" of your system. Following that, wait for sales (Amazon or Newegg) on the pieces you are going to add.

I am certain Art will express his enjoyment of his Onkyo receiver in almost identical (loving) terms as I do.

Since you are willing to purchase used off CL, consider this: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR828.../ref=pd_cp_e_1 It is the same receiver Art has, but is refurbished. $599. Comes with a 1-year Onkyo warranty. Even at Amazon's regular price (non-refurbished tab on same page), $857 is worth the money, and you get 2 years of warranty. Unless you happened to get a true lemon, you should be fine with the refurb, IMO.

As I've mentioned, Newegg is the place for Polk speakers. http://www.newegg.com/Polk-Audio-Hom...t/ID-12345-494

The M70's are on sale this weekend for $159 each. That's not entirely rare. They do cycle through the different models, though. Remember: the M70's are really big. Make sure you have space for them. The M60's are quite a bit easier to live with, and the difference is mainly in the bass- which can be made up for with an inevitable subwoofer. A pair of the M30's (currently $80/pair) could get you started, then be moved to the surrounds once you budgeted larger mains.

Basically, you are willing to spend ~$400 on a receiver and main speakers you don't know anything about. Double that, and you will have a kick-ass foundation up to the standards of everything else you buy (PC components, etc.)
    Last edited by megabyteme; 02-09-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    And now a few words from co.......

First up, there is a misconception about refurbished equipment, particularly refurbished electronics, they are actually more rigorously inspected and tested than those rolled on the production lines because the company wants to recover the inherent value and spends the time and effort to make sure the item is fit for the consumer. They get a full stress/burn in test before final release, and have far more careful quality control(unless it is a tacky brand that does not care) this is definitely not the case with Onkyo.

I have to agree with Meg on Yamaha, I have always found them flat and lifeless. Also for a 'premium' brand they often are lacking in features at the price points they are offered. Pioneer or Onkyo offer better value for money at the same price and have a 'warmer' sound with I think personally Onkyo's WRAT technology offering a far more powerful soundstage. That being said Onkyo have a good sound, they struggled for a long time with home theater performance with a major gaff with a whole product line with faulty HDMI ports requiring a product recall and also struggling to get THX certification so I admire the little guy that has come far in Onkyo's case.

The TX-NR828 is actually my second Onkyo, I had an SR-607 for years before and the only real reason for the change was that it was that it was not a network receiver which the 828 is. The SR-607 was a model from after the HDMI problems and had excellent decoding of DTS formats as well, so I really have gone from strength to strength, since there is all that with the 828 plus more power the advanced THX2 features and the network receiver/internet capabilities. I say this because so often you purchase a new model to be disappointed by lost features or a trimming down of some part of the unit, definitely not so here, and I have owned some fairly decent audio equipment over time.

I differ on Polk audio speakers from Meg, but then I am in a different country and they are quite pricey here, bang for your buck there are other alternatives that do a better job, so I will defer to his judgement, although I will say there are other speaker manufacturers than Polk.... I just don't have a clue on pricing in the glorious US of A.

On the subject of the Onkyo though, the TX NR828 is a huge monster of an amp receiver, you cannot put anything directly on top because of a large cooling fan it uses to dissipate heat and if it fell on you it would kill you, and I got my 828 because of an unbelievable price, there are less pricey models (particularly the 727) which still retain most of the features of the 828, but at a lower price point.
    Last edited by Artemis; 02-10-2014 at 01:25 AM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I keep beating the drum for Polk because that is what I have been living with in my living room, as well as using for surrounds in my dedicated theater. The sound is quite neutral- enough to pair well with my B&W 802 Matrix 3's and matching center channel, as well as handling dynamic material without flattening out/overpowering. On top of that, Newegg has an unbelievable partnership with Polk that allows them to move A LOT of speakers at outstandingly low prices. The two, Onkyo and Polk make for a great pairing without costing thousands of dollars.

Honestly, there are very few speakers in the price range of the Polk Monitor line (at Newegg's pricing) that do not sound truly cheap.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    The Monitor 70's seem great, and I was willing to get them for the bargain deal of $125 for the pair on Craigslist (they were sold), but with living in a rental for the next couple of years, I don't need anything that powerful; neighbors and all. Not if I'm going to pay full price too.

Right now I'm leaning toward a pair of the Monitor 45B's for $160. Reading around and they appear to be exceptional on their own.

Since you recommended Onkyo as well as Pioneer, I found this earlier for $150.

I found an Onkyo SR606 on there as well for cheap but as Art pointed out, lots of folks on Amazon had HDMI issues.

Really don't want to spend $600 on a receiver that will literally only be plugged in to a TV and Bluray player.... and 2 speakers.

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    With the SR-606 HDMI switching could take up to 15 minutes, or just not and leave you with a green and purple tinged input. The whole HDMI input board had to be changed on the affected models which was fine during warranty, now however.....

The Pioneer VX-521 is an older baseline model and although it has a nice sound there are some features that are not there that are important. The first is upscaling, and if you have an iPod there is no native input. These may not be major considerations, but then if you look at a more modern unit and simply go down the range (the VX-521 was a base model) we are comparing that to a modern near top of the range model....not really a fair comparison. There are many of the previous generation Onkyo models on clearance prices and if you want a base model look at the TX-NR414 it is still for sale but being an older model is now cheap. In fact a hurried search came up with this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414.../dp/B0077V88YU . There are bound to be cheaper deals than that.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Right now I'm leaning toward a pair of the Monitor 45B's for $160. Reading around and they appear to be exceptional on their own.
    You could use Monitor 45's for your entire surround system, and it would be quite nice. There is an equivalent matched center, though.

As for the Pioneer, looks like there are some of the same/similar issues Art mentioned with the SR606 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117398 . Read the reviews, it looks like people are not only mentioning it being closed out for around $120, but having known HDCP issues, and "suddenly no longer working", and OSD not working through HDMI. (See "Latest Reviews", page 2). At least look up what is being said on Newegg as a possible lead towards greater issues. Some research could be wise here.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    There are many of the previous generation Onkyo models on clearance prices and if you want a base model look at the TX-NR414 it is still for sale but being an older model is now cheap. In fact a hurried search came up with this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414.../dp/B0077V88YU . There are bound to be cheaper deals than that.
    That may be a very good way to go, but I'd make sure to purchase the closeout directly through Amazon. They are about the only ones who will pay return shipping. On something as heavy as a receiver, it could turn into a risky venture with a net loss, or mean getting stuck with a defective unit...
    Last edited by megabyteme; 02-10-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    You could use Monitor 45's for your entire surround system, and it would be quite nice. There is an equivalent matched center, though.
    Are you referring to the 25C? I did see that one. If so, that one's as much or more than the 2 other speakers combined. (edit: I see a bunch of Polk centers)

Not sure where I'd put it either. I picked up a tv stand (see pic below) which has a perfect opening for a center speaker, but the top started bowing in the middle, so (long story, short) I found a free shelf of a matching color and cut it to brace the middle. Works great but the nice gap for a center speaker is now gone.

Spoiler: Show

EDIT: I've been looking at pics of center speakers and I've seen some small shelves that attach to the VESA holes and allow the center channel to perch up top of the TV. Not sure if I'd rather spend $25 on one of those or $25 on a wall mount for the TV...
    Last edited by Skiz; 02-10-2014 at 11:45 PM.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    OK, so I think this is what I'm going with.

TV Mount: $26

Polk 45B's: $162

Center channel: CS2 $100

Yamaha RX-V375: $200. I know you guys don't like Yamaha but I think it gives me everything I need. The only thing it's missing is upscaling but my BluRay player does that before it gets to the receiver anyway.
    Last edited by Skiz; 02-12-2014 at 12:48 AM.

yo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I did also notice a ZBox in that pic I take it that is what you use for home theater playback ?

Well actually I went back and checked the specs on the Yamaha and it is HDMI 1.4 (3D) compatible has 1080p upscaling 4 HDMI sources and USB iPod input so you're sweet on all counts except network features and that is only if you a. use DLNA or b. internet radio sources. So to translate in to less geeky terms that's a really nice receiver there.... in terms of the specs anyway.

I personally think that audio equipment far more than computers or other technical equipment is highly subjective because it brings out an emotion, and what I enjoy may be very different to what you enjoy, so in the end as long as you do truly enjoy the new receiver and speakers and they enrich your life then that is all you can ask, and alot of people praise Yamaha for the accuracy of reproduction (clarity).
    Last edited by Artemis; 02-12-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast