Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $30 D-link Wireless Router/ Adapter?

micro center is selling a 30 dollar (after rebate) wireless router /adapter.

See the 4th box ad down on the left hand side.

My question is:

Can a router be an adapter?

Can you just by two of these things to send a signal from your modem and recieve it at the computer?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    your modem is physically plugged into the router, which has a wireless adapter built in, so u can acces the router from pcs with wireless network cards. and some also have physical ports aswell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Needs a separate broadband modem with ethernet connection (not USB).

Good price for a router.
    Good price for a wireless access point.

Excellent price for a router/wireless access point.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Still confused

I obviously have a modem with an Ethernet out however I have no wireless products.
    Right now I switch out 2 Ethernet cords. 1 goes to my PC the other goes to my XBOX.

If I buy this wireless router, I would plug it into my modem, and then I could run a hard wire to my XBOX out of the router and buy another wireless router and use it as an access point for my PC?

Hmmm?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    You would need a wireless pci adapter for your pc. I can't tell from the picture which router that is, so it may or may not have a built in hub. If it has, then you can connect your XBOX directly. If not, you would need to get a wireless access point to connect in to the wireless network.

The links I have given are only examples. They will be compatible with the router/access point you've shown, but may not be the best priced.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by healimonster@23 November 2003 - 01:34
    micro center is selling a 30 dollar (after rebate) wireless router /adapter.

See the 4th box ad down on the left hand side.

My question is:

Can a router be an adapter?

Can you just by two of these things to send a signal from your modem and recieve it at the computer?
    thats the router i have its pretty good

Can a router be an adapter? NO

Can you just by two of these things to send a signal from your modem and recieve it at the computer? NO u have to buy that big one in the pic that u showed and another small 1 the big 1 is a router and the small 1 is a adapter

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Whats the difference between this Wireless Bridge this Access Point or perhaps this wireless adapter other than one is a USB item?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by h121589@23 November 2003 - 05:56
    hold up! first of all, that router is only 30 bucks? and secondly, what's with the 108Mbps speed? i've never even heard of that, and i work on networks fer a living. have i missed something?

i know 10/100/1000 for wired ethernet, and 11, 22, and 55 for wireless, what's the 108?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by healimonster@23 November 2003 - 06:23
    Whats the difference between this Wireless Bridge this Access Point or perhaps this wireless adapter other than one is a USB item?
    Wireless access point - a sort of master station for your wireless network. The router/access point has one of these built in. You don't need another access point unless you are going to connect another wired network into the system.

Wireless bridge - used to connect an wired ethernet device into the wireless network - this is what you need (not the access point, mislead you earlier) to connect a single device such as your XBOX.

Wireless adapter - Similar to the wireless bridge, but usb connection. A direct alternative to the wireless pci adapter. Connects an individual pc into wireless network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast