Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Paid Usenet service provider

I am fairly new to newsgroups and was wandering if anyone could provide me with some ideas on the best paid usenet provider. I have heard good things about astraweb but anyone have any other recommendations?

Many Thank

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    I currently use Newshosting and am pretty satisfied. Used to use Easynews but prefer the former.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by amranmiah121 View Post
    I am fairly new to newsgroups and was wandering if anyone could provide me with some ideas on the best paid usenet provider. I have heard good things about astraweb but anyone have any other recommendations?
    'Best' is a pretty subjective term. Every server plant 'should' have pretty much exactly the same data; just about every plant out there stopped 'rolling' things off when the cost of new drives plummeted around August 2008, certainly back around January 2009. How they've kept that retention 'up and running' since then is a good question.

Then there's what 'extras' do they offer, either included or as extra cost items, like SSL, access to that expanded (or not) retention, or other things like 'cloud' storage or bundled VPN services. Personally, I don't like these types of 'bundling' any more than I do from phone or cable companies, I find I can get them cheaper and easier 'ala carte'.

Despite leading the pack on rapid/instant takedowns of things like (some) pro-wrestling, p0rn, and low-retnt broadcast/cable tv shows and the like, Astraweb led the price wars for the past several years. Since I don't go for the organized crime 'aimed at 10 year olds' pro-wrestling, find way more than enough p0rn to coke a pig, and actually own an antenna on my house (which the local cableco runs commercials saying is 'ugly'), I get all the crap tv I can handle, so why d/l it off the internet. The occasional premium cable program I like that I don't subscribe to, I find very easily days or weeks after it 'aired' so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I've had account with just about everyone, and moved the bulk of my 'operation' to Astraweb several years ago, and haven't really looked back.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I use usenetserver, not bad for 100.00 a year

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Just about all of the non-Giganews providers (both those who have us/eu plants and not) are around that level); Astra is $96/yr on a month by month. Perhaps that's one thing I forgot to mention, how many plants does the provider have, us/eu is a probable plus as when one is having problems the other usually isn't.

Some folks swear by some Dutch providers without such redundancy due to takedowns, but the euro providers get hit just like the us based ones.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I'll second usenetserver.com.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Tweaknews.eu is great. Speeds sometimes suffer in the early evenings if you are in North America, that's about my only complaint. Other than that, great pricing and reliable service.... also one of the few independent providers left out there.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    I've had no issues with astraweb.com, been with them for years. I tried frugalnews, and usenetserver, and several others, but I never max out my speed like I do with astraweb
    I have Verizon FiOS, 75Mbps, and I get constant 10MB/s with 8 connections.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster
    I second Newshosting for 100.00 a year

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I am using the usenetserver also, gives me no problems!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast