Thread: Recommendations for UK ISPs?

Just about to move and need to hook up a new internet connection. It will be just normal unbundled loop broadband (no more fibre optics 46mb speed like I get here ) so prob a max of 8-10mb until they roll out fibre in 2016. Any recommendations on ISP - i.e. one that doesn't block/restrict/traffic manage so pretty p2p friendly? Currently staying with someone with BT infinity so have been very careful not to torrent much.

Thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Hi mate! I think you'll find it hard to get an isp these days in the uk that does not block/restrict/traffic manage. I recently moved from Sky to Virgin . Both of which block sites but that's the norm now although there is ways round the restrictions. if you cant get the high speed cable or fibre then i would recommend Sky as they where fairly good to me and did not throttle my connection when i was torrenting stuff. i only really switched because my contract was up and i had the choice to get the faster 60mb Virgin. Virgin cuts my speed down to 30mb when i have been downloading loads during peak times but 30mb down is still good so its not really a problem. I have not used BT for years so can't really comment on them except they where dicks when i did use them way back. Hope that helps a little bit.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Thanks - really useful. BT Infinity has been fine where I am right now but not been using it madly to be honest. I should imagine I'll up my usage a fair bit when I move into my own place again - from what you've said it sounds like Sky will be fine (their unrestricted package that does not traffic manage). What sites do they block?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Hey IntrepidVixen! all the ISP's in the uk block the same sites as far as i know? that includes Sky . So any site that is deemed to be a pirate site could be blocked by a court order. These sites are often still online but just not accessible through your ISP. You can however get to these blocked sites through a proxy which has not been blocked. Proxy sites are gaining popularity due to this. Check my site http://www.rockaproxy.com it has a good list of working proxies that help you get access to the blocked sites. Bookmark it for when you need it
    Last edited by gibbz; 03-28-2014 at 10:48 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    I know a lot of peeps who were moved to SKY from Be or O2 when SKY bought them and all they do is moan about how SKY killed their dl speeds by 1/4, their upload speeds by 1/4 and their pings all at least doubled compared to what they previously had.
    LSS #1