Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dognzb Open Today

An awful lot of Dog members prefer Sickbeard. With Dog (his push feature), you are entirely dependent on his site being up. Lately, his site has been slow. I suspect He will have to upgrade servers because of all the new signups since last May. A year ago Dog was still a small group.

Nzbgeek.info now has "Geek-Seek" that acts as a watch list and pushes files into SAB. Geek-Seek is not newznab but is compatible with all the newznab apps. It will be interesting to see what indexers are going to improve and which ones stay pretty much the same. There is plenty of competition for consumer dollars. I think Nzbgeek, Dog and Nzb.su are probably the three best right now. At least there are choices for people who want automated indexes.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    For those who still want the Dog, you can sign up for an E Mail alert here:

https://ifttt.com/recipes/108974-red...zb-email-alert

Text message alert here:

https://ifttt.com/recipes/164262-get...n-dognzb-opens
    Last edited by user3240; 04-23-2014 at 11:27 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    What do you know...? It's open again.
    These numerous openings and closing sessions, I think doesn't bode well for the index.
    Somebody is getting greedy.
    Last edited by aoshivx; 05-02-2014 at 02:43 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    The Dog decided to go with "lifetime" memberships. This means that if you close the index, there will be no way of getting cash flow. Had he made it an annual membership, he could have gotten his money from renewals.

He closed it down in late 2012 and took away all invites. There was a lot of "panic buying" when he reopened in 2013, May. The sense of urgency is no longer there. There are plenty of good indexers out there.

I don't think He is going to shut down anytime soon. I suspect that his new signups are mostly curiosity seekers. Most of these indexes are lucky to get 5-10% of new signups to convert to paying customers.

The Dog and any other profit making index that wants to keep the cash flow going with lifetime memberships might as well just stay open as the Matrix used to.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    To some degree I see your point, but don't quite agree. I don't see nothing wrong
    closing down the indexer, will have an effect on the cash flow. The continuous
    cash flow issue can be resolved very quickly if the community/user base bond is strong.

Every time the doors open I can't help but think of this comment (from Reddit)

Quote Originally Posted by soggit
    how to make money running an indexer:
    step 1) new free, public indexer! woo! you need only register for unlimited access!
    step 2) free users now only get limited access. upgrade to vip for unlimited access!
    step 3) go private
    step 3.5) warn people if they dont upgrade you're going to delete their account
    step 4) purge non-vip accounts
    step 5) limited time sign up! OMG GO GOGOG $10 ONLY TO GET IN THE DOOR!
    step 6) close indexer
    Last edited by aoshivx; 05-02-2014 at 01:36 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    He also makes money off of referrals to UNS and other providers which he pushes a lot. He deleted a post I had going about free Usenet servers and infinite free signups. Gave me some moral BS speech in a pm. No we couldnt have my thread cutting into his money machine. Have no qualms with that but don't give me some sanctimonious bs diatribe.
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    pokitisme's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by user3240 View Post
    The Dog decided to go with "lifetime" memberships. This means that if you close the index, there will be no way of getting cash flow. Had he made it an annual membership, he could have gotten his money from renewals.

He closed it down in late 2012 and took away all invites. There was a lot of "panic buying" when he reopened in 2013, May. The sense of urgency is no longer there. There are plenty of good indexers out there.

I don't think He is going to shut down anytime soon. I suspect that his new signups are mostly curiosity seekers. Most of these indexes are lucky to get 5-10% of new signups to convert to paying customers.

The Dog and any other profit making index that wants to keep the cash flow going with lifetime memberships might as well just stay open as the Matrix used to.
    umm im not getting something ---why is everyone so willing to pay for a indexer such as this when u already pay for usenet---also i would think the dmca would be more interested in the profiteering of said materials as opposed to a open dex.u see the downfall of usenet is not the dmca but the .nzb its self--the nzb is where all tracking and tracing comes from.hell its how i used to search--why else does "3aaba599768ce9452cbdbe81d2732ec3 - "0dd8e39e894710434512d0a55dd6edf3.55" get dmca'ed it says nothing about the post but the word hercules in the original nzb is what has killed it.and to paying do we all remember nzb4u---i did not pay but new paying was a bad idea especially there.
    favorite quotes made my me

if you want to you can but if you dont you wont

most possibly yes but maybe no

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by pokitisme View Post
    umm im not getting something ---why is everyone so willing to pay for a indexer such as this when u already pay for usenet
    People want content, and can't be assed getting it? They're too lazy or not savvy enough. Meanwhile, Hollywood is so busy chasing their own tails they're missing the mountains of cash that are in need of raking.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    People want content, and can't be assed getting it? They're too lazy or not savvy enough.
    People have lifes so they automate things, they pay for the reliability.

Meanwhile, Hollywood is so busy chasing their own tails they're missing the mountains of cash that are in need of raking.
    10 bucks a month and one time 10$ payment, what a gold mine right there.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    10 bucks a month and one time 10$ payment, what a gold mine right there.
    I'm sure Time Warner/HBO has zero interest in monetizing the 1M+ users in those weekly Game of Thrones swarms. In addition to however many thousands of users grab their content off of usenet.

If reddit is any indication, half the people looking to get into those sites do so because they don't know any better. That's not meant to be a slight against the indexers. Rather, a commentary on low-information users.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast