Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seagate hard drive

I have Seagate 2.5 usb external hard drive problem is it does not register straight away when i plug into usb port, need to replug 2 or 3 times for it to work. Any ideas

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    First thing I'd try, is to replace the USB cable. In my experience with Seagate (5 external drives over the years), I've found that the cables they supply with their drives are shit.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpybear2000 View Post
    I have Seagate 2.5 usb external hard drive problem is it does not register straight away when i plug into usb port, need to replug 2 or 3 times for it to work. Any ideas
    The VERY next time you get it to work, rescue (in order of importance) any important files you've got on there. It may be the last chance you have to see them. And DO NOT simply try to copy over the entire drive. Consider the possibility you've got 2 minutes (or even less) to save some of your files. Which ones do you care about? Get the less important ones later; dire ones NOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Have everything off the drive already.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Next step is to sell it on eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    try any other leads that are compatible to rule out any easy faults. seagate have drive checking tools on their site that may be worth a try. personally i dont use seagate anymore as i have had way to many of them fail pretty quickly. i had 1 2.5 out of the bag fail within a month and i wasnt abusing it in any way. at least if the leads are ok you only need a new drive as you have the case ect.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Next step is to sell it on eBay.
    "ALMOST BRAND NEW, JUST SOME SMALL DETAILS (it doesn't work)"
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Check on Seagate site for firmware update. When they find a certain number of complaints about a specific drive they try and fix it the best they can. There might also be a usb controller fix or something within the firmware update who knows. Although Seagate is chided for having some bad drives they do release a lot of firmware fixes in their defense. I have several externals (not 2.5) and have never had issues with the cords but externals have ide/sata to usb controllers included in the box and can be an issue as well.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpybear2000 View Post
    The VERY next time you get it to work, rescue (in order of importance) any important files you've got on there. It may be the last chance you have to see them. And DO NOT simply try to copy over the entire drive. Consider the possibility you've got 2 minutes (or even less) to save some of your files. Which ones do you care about? Get the less important ones later; dire ones NOW.
    That's excellent advice. If you have important files get them copied as soon as possible. After you have done that you can start troubleshooting the drive.

I am a computer tech who has run my own computer repair business for 14 years so hopefully you will take both our suggestions.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    pokitisme's Avatar Poster
    yea check or CHANGE the plugs ur using to connect then if u cant get it to work enough times i suggest buying another 1 that is the same and returning the damaged 1.i have a issue like that with 1 of my 500gb hd's it only recognizes on 1 computer due to the startup method---(forgot what its called) and another drive i have takes forever to get started and i think its a plug issue.ur plug may not look damaged and it may not be but the computer may consider any loss of transfer a damaged cord so change it and always buy from a place u can return the items just in case.also if any issues persist with plug or computer change get rid of it--the loss of a hd is to much trouble to worry over and ive lost hd's quite a few times as os or just storage.the other suggestion would be a quality os and a good mobo---windows xp is shit for a os and with to much goin on it will lose data also invest in a multi core processor to ease transfer tensions.what r u running and how is ur computer connection setup.also is it making any sounds or clicks at any time what position do u have it sitting in like flat or verticle / in a external case.lots of things make a difference in ur operation.
    Last edited by pokitisme; 05-18-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: dumb
    favorite quotes made my me

if you want to you can but if you dont you wont

most possibly yes but maybe no

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast