Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Everything you wanted to know about XBMC, but were afraid to ask....

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Unless there are some specific hardware goodies that should be on every machine, I feel my box is up to specs.

What would benefit me most is a list from an evolved, do-everything-well unit. Not so much of the "me too" items, but all usable the cool stuff it can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    So what are the "must haves" of xbmc?
    I would say USTV VoD by BlueCop. Free streaming of most network shows along with quite a bit of cable shows. And the Yatse remote app if you have an Android phone.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Unless there are some specific hardware goodies that should be on every machine, I feel my box is up to specs.

What would benefit me most is a list from an evolved, do-everything-well unit. Not so much of the "me too" items, but all usable the cool stuff it can do.
    I've actually thought about a response to this question for awhile, but have not had the time to put into a serious answer. There are several home theater applications/solutions ranging from the exceedingly overpriced Kaleidescape which is like a Mac for home theater, a solution for those who just wish the content served to the venerable home theater apps like Mediaportal and XBMC. There is also J-River a paid for app that is more about high end audio codecs than home theater, since it is a paid for application yet does not have support for codecs that have royalties like blu-ray playback, you must install an external app, then J-River will use the codec.

The main argument for XBMC or Mediaportal is that they are extensible, there are far more third party addons available for XBMC than Mediaportal, but Mediaportal has more extensive PVR support, since this is a relatively recent feature in XBMC. Another argument is that XBMC is the faster application and has a more active development cycle, it is also compatible with a wide range of operating systems and devices, with it's XML database being completely portable between different O/S and devices. One of the most popular hardware platforms for XBMC currently is the Ouya android game console.

This itself is the 'coolest' thing XBMC can do, as for the extensions themselves there is a very long list from both XBMC's and third party developers, along with many more third party addons at XBMCHub. Probably the most important addon is 1Channel (now called PrimeWire) an addon from XBMCHub, but the addons you select are really up to your own taste and locality, since many are country specific.

The fact that once properly configured XBMC can be run completely from a standard RC 6 remote control (the Microsoft E-home blaster is the default input device) yet is an extendable app, unlike the prebuilt media players, puts it ahead of the other devices out there.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Probably the most important addon is 1Channel (now called PrimeWire) an addon from XBMCHub, but the addons you select are really up to your own taste and locality, since many are country specific.
    That was the main intent of my question. It really had not occurred to me that the addons would be country specific. I suppose I'll have to keep playing around with XBMC for a while. Recently purchased the dongle which will allow me to use the keyboard from my Logitech Revue with the HTPC, which is a really handy feature.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Recently purchased the dongle which will allow me to use the keyboard from my Logitech Revue with the HTPC, which is a really handy feature.
    The intent of my earlier post regarding hardware was more aimed at peripherals than the computer to run XBMC since you can run XBMC on a Raspberry Pi. Personally I use the Logitech Di Novo mini, plus the aforementioned RC 6 remote for control of my HTPC.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Recently purchased the dongle which will allow me to use the keyboard from my Logitech Revue with the HTPC, which is a really handy feature.
    The intent of my earlier post regarding hardware was more aimed at peripherals than the computer to run XBMC since you can run XBMC on a Raspberry Pi. Personally I use the Logitech Di Novo mini, plus the aforementioned RC 6 remote for control of my HTPC.
    I use an older media center remote and Logitech 880 to controll my XBMC boxes. Also use a wireless keyboard similar to the Di Novo to enter text.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    xbmc lags on my appletv. i want to know whats the most power friendly device to run xmbc on?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by welshwizard View Post
    xbmc lags on my appletv. i want to know whats the most power friendly device to run xmbc on?
    I am VERY tempted to put XBMC for Ouja on the Amazon Fire TV. I am currently using the Logitech Revue, but Amazon support is now iffy due to site changes, and XBMC does not work with it.

The Fire TV has a decent set of specs, costs $99, runs a lot natively, sideloads, and has been hacked open. There is quite a bit of support for installing XBMC on the device. It will only get better, IMO.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    I would second the Yatse app...great little addition to the XBMC tools, runs great with my two OpenElec Raspberry Pi's

Might have to try the Netflix plugin again and see how that goes.
    Anyone got OpenVPN running on OpenElec ?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    (sorry to be a post digger)
    It's possible to install and run xbmc on an old pc or do I need to have a dedicated media center?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast