Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So much bullshit...

Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarterquack View Post
    Fun fact: The first concept of a steam engine was designed by the Romans around something like 600CE. I'd look for an actual reference but I'm a little lazy.
    The fun fact is a misnomer. Although various steam 'engine(s)' were designed earlier, it was James Watt's design and patent of the steam engine with a separate condenser (the walking beam engine) which was the catalyst for the beginning of the industrial revolution. It was however his partnership with Matthew Boulton which brought about the first industrial use. Matthew Boulton had a large existing manufactory near Birmingham (the Soho Manufactory) and was using a water wheel to power some of his processes, he saw in James Watt's invention the potential to extend the power of his manufacturing capacity. By partnering with James Watt in 1775 he brought the Scottish engineer to Birmingham and built an early design of the walking beam engine originally to pump water to make the water wheel more efficient. As the design of the engine became more refined and was capable of more power output it replaced the water wheel, initially in the world's first steam powered mint, but also to power other manufacturing processes.

This is the crux of the industrial revolution, the steam engine with a condenser powering a manufacturing process, and it was the foresight of Matthew Boulton in seeing and utilising the potential of the walking beam engine which changed the world.
    Last edited by Artemis; 04-22-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Dates help with history!

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

2. Lounge   -   #22
    thebigfreeze.jpg

Same Bullshit... different Century
    No life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated and disciplined.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    The success part was me feeling anything at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    And she sounds like a good kind of person to keep around, considering she didn't just up and leave when you gave her a chance to.
    The world has yet to beat her down enough. I will be the instrument. She just started that Brazilian martial arts stuff, so I challenged her to a fight.

In reality, I had been continuously recommending she make her athletic aspirations more interesting and rewarding. I shared with her how wrestling fundamentally changed how I use my body to interact with the world around me (it's an odd thing to describe, but you're all gays here). She had her first class, and even though she went in nervous, she's excited about it now. Mostly, she seems happy to give up the oddities of spin class and zumba. She wants to avoid the path of the basic bitch.

Now, pardon me while I make several editing attempts to manually and correctly post a video link from my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaghIdSJKvQ

Last edited by mjmacky; 04-22-2014 at 02:50 AM.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    richasis's Avatar Poster
    This is a pretty cool thread ... for such a hot topic.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    No, no.... .....that's not what made you sad.......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123