Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoi skiz, Need Your Full Assessment of 6D

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    And don't forget about the Sony cameras I mentioned before. If the camera is really just to take pics of the wee ones and not a lot more, you may not feel the urge that some of us do for a full frame sensor, and Sony makes some top notch cameras right now.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    That does look like an impressive point-and-shoot. http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/11/sony-a6000-hands-on/

After nearly 20 years of Canon, I think we are past the point of no return. However, I will ponder it a bit more because it does have some enticing plusses.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I agree. Once you're invested in lenses as deep as I am, you're committed.

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    I also would not like to turn around and replace the lenses, but the concept of the new Nikon retro camera design does make me drool:

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    UPDATE:

We decided that with my wife's longtime love of her 20D, her challenges with lighting on the 7D, and this in mind:

Advise:

*Make sure you are off the "preset" teet; they're all gone on the 6D. No more "Portrait", "Landscape", etc modes. It's all up to you.

*Make sure you're ok shooting without a flash. The 6D is meant to be more versatile than an entry level shooter, so it leaves out the flash and you can add one that suits your needs. There are some moderately priced speedlites if you felt you wanted one, just FYI. I only shoot outdoors and don't feel the need for one. (I own a small bubble level that is hot mountable tho.)
    We ordered a 70D from Adorama over the 4th of July weekend. It should be here Monday. We spent $1548 for this setup:

Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens, Black , USA - Bundle - with Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens
    http://www.adorama.com/ICA70DK1L3.html it came with a small camera bag, a 16GM UHS-1 card, and an extra knockoff battery. The price has gone up $100 since we ordered.

Your advise rang in my ears, skiz. Most of the shooting my wife does is of the kids. She will either point-and-shoot, or take the time to set things up properly. However, with the 7D, she wanted it to be more automatic for everyday shots.

Purchasing now allows her a month before we travel to the coast for a family (hers) vacation. Considering the 70D is 5 generations more advanced than her 20D, we expect she will like it a lot.

Regardless, half of the money we spent translates into the lenses- EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM. These have quite a bit going for them considering they are not "L" lenses. They also fit in the lineup of gear she already had. Basically we are $700-$800 into the body. If we get 3-4 trouble-free years out of it, we will be ready for what Cannon has to offer.

My only regret is that I cannot boast of being in the full-sensor club.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    That's a fairly new model, and you'll probably be happier with it in the long run if most of your photos are indoors or point-n-shoot kid shots.

You don't need any "L" lenses for a crop sensor. You'll find there are plenty of great lenses out there for less money. I have one "L" lens. It's nice, but I have no doubt I could have purchased a fairly comparable lens for much less. Looks like your bag still needs a nifty fifty tho.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    your bag still needs a nifty fifty tho.
    Got the 1.4 in attempts at remedying some of the light issues. Helped, but the cropping was an issue due to the magnification. Having the 18-135 should serve my wife well for everyday shots.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    If you have light issues with the f/1.4, it isn't any fault in the lens.

The 18-135mm lens is a nice walking around lens, but serves a different purpose.
    Last edited by Skiz; 07-15-2014 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    I am going to revisit that with the wife. I know she said it was "better" with the 1.4, but found the cropping factor on the 50mm to be too closeup for pics of the kids while indoors. She got frustrated; we looked into other cameras. She loves the 7D outside.

She did point out that her 20D never had light issues. So far, the 70D has just clicked away as she has hoped.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    The 1.4 should be great. I have the 2.8 and love it. It's best when used on close objects and utilize it's incredibly shallow depth of field.

yo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12