Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deafness by Motorcycle

teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    I know there will probably be a few who disagree with this, but oh well...

I live next to a relatively busy state route on the outskirts of a small city. All along this road there are signs about trucks being forbidden to use jake brakes (compression release engine brakes) due to noise.

Here's my bitch: I like having my windows open when it's warm out, instead of running air conditioning. AC messes with my sinuses, & uses a lot of power and makes my electric bill a lot higher. Therefore, I only use it when the inside temp gets above about 78°.

The only problem is, all the douchebags that insist on having motorcycles that are louder than the goddamn space shuttle taking off. It's ridiculous. I don't see how there can be an ordinance against the use of jake brakes on trucks, yet they let these asshats get away with pretty much straight pipes loud enough to blow out your fucking eardrums, on their damn motorcycles. One went by here about an hour ago & revved his engine (for no reason I could see, other than to make noise) and it was so loud it literally caused a framed picture to fall off my bedroom wall. They're louder than any truck using compression brakes that I've ever heard.

I just don't understand what the attraction is. Is it the "compensating for a small penis" thing? They make up for their tiny beetle dicks with a loud ass bike? I would think they would go deaf themselves, from riding the damn things.

Don't get me wrong...I don't have anything against bikers or bikes in general. I've owned a few & have ridden a few miles my self in my life, but never on anything loud enough to cause bleeding eardrums. There should be an ordinance against this shit, in my opinion.
    I'm just tired of them blasting by here, especially at 2 in the morning. Guess I'll have to close the windows and crank on the air. It's bullshit-bs-smiley-emoticon.gif [/end rant]
    Last edited by teflon05; 05-24-2014 at 11:09 PM.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

2. Lounge   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    First off:

If you own the home, you ca consider a number of outside sound reverting ornaments (trees, concrete walls, lawn gnomes) to deaden some of the noise. If it is so loud, I also suspect you are not well insulated. There are many ways to keep 50-75% of the sound out- all while reducing that heating/cooling bill.

You won't be able to stop noise pollution without having support from a large portion of the community. You will have even less success if that traffic is from people passing through.

You could also invest in some good closed-back headphones. There are some nice blu-tooth options.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I have lived next to train tracks as well as in between a small airport and a hospital that was central to emergency flights. You just get used to it. I miss the moments where I'd put everything on pause just wait for the train to pass.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Yeah, but at least you had access to street drugs, disposable handguns, and prostitution.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    First off:

If you own the home, you ca consider a number of outside sound reverting ornaments (trees, concrete walls, lawn gnomes) to deaden some of the noise. If it is so loud, I also suspect you are not well insulated. There are many ways to keep 50-75% of the sound out- all while reducing that heating/cooling bill.

You won't be able to stop noise pollution without having support from a large portion of the community. You will have even less success if that traffic is from people passing through.

You could also invest in some good closed-back headphones. There are some nice blu-tooth options.
    It's an apartment, & the sidewalk in front, next to the road, is borough property so trees, walls, etc. aren't feasible. I suppose I could talk to the landlord about insulation, but I have a feeling it wouldn't go over real well. I am thinking about talking to some of the neighbors & maybe getting a petition to have some sort of ordinance put forth, but I don't know how well that would work out either. Plus it's hard finding the time when I work 60 hrs a week. I've tried headphones, but then I stay awake listening to the music

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    I have lived next to train tracks as well as in between a small airport and a hospital that was central to emergency flights. You just get used to it. I miss the moments where I'd put everything on pause just wait for the train to pass.
    I am used to regular traffic noise...Even trucks. But they are both pretty regular, whereas the bikes are random. I suppose I could get used to it maybe, if it was a regular pattern.

I'd move if I could, but it's just not financially feasible. i.e. I'm damn near broke
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

6. Lounge   -   #6
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    m is, all the douchebags that insist on having motorcycles that are louder than the goddamn space shuttle taking off. It's ridiculous. I don't see how there can be an ordinance against the use of jake brakes on trucks, yet they let these asshats get away with pretty much straight pipes loud enough to blow out your fucking eardrums, on their damn motorcycles.
    I've often wondered that myself as some fat old guy in search of his lost youth rode by on his Harley.
    I'm pretty sure that if my car muffler went and I didn't get it fixed ,cops would be pulling me over left and right and threatening me with a ticket for noise violation.

Btw I live near train tracks and in proximity to a busy street and of the two,the trains have never once disturbed me from sleep while in the summer if I want the windows open I have to wear earplugs to be able to relax(true story) due to the cars.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by waqas850 View Post
    It could be dangerous for you.
    You could be retarded.
    Now go away.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Else View Post
    You could be retarded.
    From the evidence provided, I'd say he already is retarded. Let's look at the evidence. When choosing a username, he has apparently whacked a few keys at random, then tapped the 8, 5 and 0, skipping the 2 key which lies between the 5 and 0.

waqas? All within an inch of each other, and easy to thump.

Nah, imagination played no part in the creation of that username, because retards have no imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I live for danger,sissyman.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    DngrMs's Avatar Super Rodent
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    ...skipping the 2 key which lies between the 5 and 0...
    Just like the NSA, I'm compelled to copy everything I want to.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast