Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for New Laptop Under $1000

robertrust's Avatar n00b
    `What will give me the most bang for my buck? Don't want to spend more than $1000 and I want a poerful processor that is top of the line. Good graphics card. Newest versions of Office if Windows. Suggestions?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    You can have quality, speed, price. Pick two.

I like the Lenovo machines these days. Have you looked at the Ideapad series? Y510p?

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I like the Lenovo machines these days. Have you looked at the Ideapad series? Y510p?
    Me too, except for those stupid ass chiclet keys. The T4x/6x were engineering marvels.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What are "chiclet keys"? The curved ones?

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    What are "chiclet keys"? The curved ones?
    Yeah, there's this spacing between each individual key. I've heard it called "island-style." Same as on the Macbooks. Not my cup of tea, but not a total deal breaker.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by robertrust View Post
    `What will give me the most bang for my buck? Don't want to spend more than $1000 and I want a poerful processor that is top of the line. Good graphics card. Newest versions of Office if Windows. Suggestions?
    There are so many readily available copies of Office and Windows floating around that I would not let included programs to be the deciding factor. Focus on quality hardware- even consider replacing an included 5400 RPM drive with a reliable/drop-proof Samsung SSD to end up with a portable computer that you can toss around like a textbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    to end up with a portable computer that you can toss around like a textbook.
    You would only do away with one of the delicate aspects of a laptop. I'm pretty sure it still has a screen.

Setting aside the obvious, I believe textbooks are still expensive, so take great care of them to retain some resale value. In fact, treat them better than I would Meg's kids.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I will point out to anyone looking to buy a used kid that unlike books or laptops, so far everything Mary has done has been washed off.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I will point out to anyone looking to buy a used kid that unlike books or laptops, so far everything Mary has done has been washed off.
    Maybe on the outside
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    You'd be amazed at what can be done with spit and a bottle brush. Actually, you probably wouldn't...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast