Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern IRC?

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he was saying that the majority of things he downloads he gets from IRC. He says that since he's not uploading, providers like comcast don't really care (which makes sense to me I suppose). Anyways, I didn't really know IRC was still popular.

Does anyone on here still use it for file sharing and if so do you have any good suggestions for servers to hit up? Just felt like it was something that doesn't get talked about too much on here but apparently is still a relatively popular method of downloading.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by toptenstuff431 View Post
    Just wondering why people would use the relatively primitive IRC format rather than "modern" programs such as MSN etc
    "Primitive." Usenet is 34 this year? FTP turns 43. They use it because it works and eggdrops don't run under MSNP--which can't do much at all.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 06-14-2014 at 02:27 PM.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Just use a search engine like this and you'll see the channels that have the stuff you want. http://sunxdcc.com/

http://imgur.com/jjndN6G

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Oh man the days of XDCC, all those weird triggers to get file lists. justlooking its pretty amazing that those channels are still up, i sometimes wonder if those XDCCs these days are nothing more than honeypots for copyrighters, most users on IRC dont use VPN/proxies etc to hide ips there.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurine View Post
    most users on IRC dont use VPN/proxies etc to hide ips there.
    Yeah, if OP is planning on spending any kind of time of IRC, spend a couple bucks on a VPS or shell provider and setup a BNC on it. Besides the anonymity it's nice to always be connected.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 06-15-2014 at 06:03 AM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I still use it, especially when I miss something that disappears fast from the usenet. I never thought that honeypots might be a concern. How serious? One site has SSL available . But the time I tried to set my mirc to use it I did something wrong. I wondered how safe irc. If I'm opening up my pc to snoopers. Really don't know how possible that might be. Don't know that much about it. So I shy away from it mostly these days. but it has the advantage of being free.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I use it but only occasioanlly. Its more for the novelty factor than anything else. The speeds are ok most of the time but remembering all the triggers can be a pain. Also the community is NOT very friendly on most chans. They're so paranoid you tend to get klined for the slightest things.
    Last edited by bbhaag; 06-15-2014 at 09:55 PM.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Trythepie View Post
    I still use it, especially when I miss something that disappears fast from the usenet. I never thought that honeypots might be a concern. How serious? One site has SSL available . But the time I tried to set my mirc to use it I did something wrong. I wondered how safe irc. If I'm opening up my pc to snoopers. Really don't know how possible that might be. Don't know that much about it. So I shy away from it mostly these days. but it has the advantage of being free.
    Well think about that, there used to be channels like that all over, even mainstream ones had warez channels. Now only very shady networks have them, including channels for carding along with other criminal activities, so I just stay away from them completely.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    OP, do a Google search for
    XDCC search

This will give you the search engines.

I don't think there is a problem with copyright holders. They go after uploaders, not downloaders (torrents are of course both).

The advantages are the lack of takedowns/incompletes; it is free and you don't have to worry about lawsuits.

Disadvantages are slow speeds and a very limited selection (a search engine might have 200,000 packs which represent maybe a fifth that many specific titles).

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    I turned my head to XDCC recently because free usenet IPv6 XSNews is over now and the alternatives are not as handy as this one was.

I managed to set up my client and download a couple of files from Rizon Elitewarez but i'm getting speeds around 500KB/s. Is this normal for XDCC channels or i'm doing something wrong like not port forwarding or something? I'm currently using mIRC, any advice for clients, configurations or good networks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast