Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best unlimited usenet providers?

Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    Supernews is Giganews. I would choose neither Supernews nor Astraweb. They are both bad IMO.
    Then again, one needs to figure in internet transit time and data transmission speeds into one's equations; if one is on the west coast of the US (where Astra, Giga, Super are all located at in northern and southern California) vr. other US plants on the east coast, dragging those bits cross country (from, say, UNS or Blocknews as an example, which are both located in 'telecom row' in suburban DC/Virginia) and then adding on to that potential cross-oceanic if going to Europe/Netherlands or such, means that utilizing those as a 'main' feed (rather than as occasional 'fills) really slows things down to a crawl.

So it really is more of a 'mix' of what works for one's particular situation, not a 'one solution fits all', even figuring the preponderance of obfuscated/encrypted postings that are the norm these days. Things do (and have) gotten incrementally better over the years in long-distance transfers, but it isn't quite up to wide open multi-terabit everywhere on the planet quite yet.

2. Newsgroups   -   #42
    Is there any provider that dont remove content ?!

3. Newsgroups   -   #43
    DngrMs's Avatar Super Rodent
    Quote Originally Posted by usenetfreak View Post
    Yep, I'm a member of one or two.

Most don't have web sites and as far as I'm aware they're all in the far East so you need a good grasp of a non English/Spanish/French/German language (psst - understanding Cyrillic helps).

You'll find the necessary assistance on IRC if you're persistent enough.

Edit: but you don't really need to go this far - my .ru block account has downloaded <1MB in the last month (against >2TB) because my .com and .eu primaries are more than sufficient.
    Last edited by DngrMs; 10-16-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    Just like the NSA, I'm compelled to copy everything I want to.

4. Newsgroups   -   #44
    Poster
    My understanding is usenetserver was one of the mass highwinds/UNS holdings acquisitions that have taken place over the last few months. They auto-dmca is under 90 (same as giganews, and now readnews (not acquired but using the HW backend system so essentially the same).Giga and readnews don't go to such lengths to hide their subsidiaries whereas highwinds does. They ate up a huge portion of europe this past summer.

Edit- readnews is officially owned by highwinds
    Last edited by meatball; 12-31-2014 at 04:01 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #45
    Having been a usenet user for decades, I would not touch highwinds again with your bargepole, let alone mine. I tried them as a pay service, and gave up after a few months. I then had teh horrible experience of my ISP handing over their usenet services to highwinds, at which stage it quickly became next to useless.

I used giganews and astraweb for a year or two and both services delivered all that should be expected.
    I dropped giganews on cost basis and continued with astraweb to this day which has US and EU POPs and very responsive support on the odd occasions they have been needed.

6. Newsgroups   -   #46
    Poster
    I wouldn't use them for a number of reasons, not the least is your point. Secondly they are quietly doing the same thing as comcast. Highwinds is working towards owning newsgroups entirely and have just successfully eliminated a huge portion of the european competition.
    Last edited by meatball; 11-01-2014 at 02:11 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #47
    Poster
    I'll believe it when I see it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by meatball View Post
    My understanding is usenetserver was one of the mass highwinds/UNS holdings acquisitions that have taken place over the last few months. They auto-dmca is under 90 (same as giganews, and now readnews (not acquired but using the HW backend system so essentially the same).Giga and readnews don't go to such lengths to hide their subsidiaries whereas highwinds does. They ate up a huge portion of europe this past summer.
    Besides EuroAccess, who else did they acquire?

Quote Originally Posted by DngrMs View Post
    Yep, I'm a member of one or two.

Most don't have web sites and as far as I'm aware they're all in the far East so you need a good grasp of a non English/Spanish/French/German language (psst - understanding Cyrillic helps).

You'll find the necessary assistance on IRC if you're persistent enough.

Edit: but you don't really need to go this far - my .ru block account has downloaded <1MB in the last month (against >2TB) because my .com and .eu primaries are more than sufficient.
    Since you've disabled pm, could you offer any additional clues? Search results aren't turning up much.
    Last edited by Hn66; 11-01-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Newsgroups   -   #48
    DngrMs's Avatar Super Rodent
    Quote Originally Posted by Hn66 View Post
    Edit: but you don't really need to go this far - my .ru block account has downloaded <1MB in the last month (against >2TB) because my .com (primary) and .eu (block backup) are more than sufficient.
    Since you've disabled pm, could you offer any additional clues? Search results aren't turning up much.
    I've highlighted the important part of my post above. If I need to be explicit I'd follow the advice in many, many threads here and get an Astraweb unlimited account and a Tweaknews (or similar) block account to set as backup. It's not exactly what I use but close enough (I also have a tertiary block provider but as quoted above it's not normally required).

If you can't get what you want then I'd post specific questions about specific NZB's because the above combo will service 99% of the needs of 99% of the population (and I know this with statistical certainty because I know everything).
    Just like the NSA, I'm compelled to copy everything I want to.

9. Newsgroups   -   #49
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hn66 View Post

I've highlighted the important part of my post above. If I need to be explicit I'd follow the advice in many, many threads here and get an Astraweb unlimited account and a Tweaknews (or similar) block account to set as backup. It's not exactly what I use but close enough (I also have a tertiary block provider but as quoted above it's not normally required).

If you can't get what you want then I'd post specific questions about specific NZB's because the above combo will service 99% of the needs of 99% of the population (and I know this with statistical certainty because I know everything).
    I consider myself fairly informed when it comes to NNTP. What peaked my interest was not your discussion of Cambrium (Tweak) or Search Tech (Astraweb), those systems I know, but rather your mention of the existence of .ru providers. I've actually put in some time researching .ru forums and .ru webhosts looking for a free or paid soviet provider that sells NNTP services carrying alt.binaries hierarchy, but so far have not found such a provider. You seem to know of some systems, existing in either .ru .ua .lv .lt .ee . I can't find a paid provider in that region carrying binaries, just the known pubs like neva.ru that just carry text groups. This is where I was looking to you for insight and I assume if there are some established providers that do exist this is better kept private knowledge unless you want it shared publicly.

PM is preferred, but IRC is ok too if you can connect to oftc.net (tor supported)

Thanks for the reply
    Last edited by Hn66; 11-06-2014 at 09:30 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #50
    n00b
    I use Eweka (dutch usenet) http://www.eweka.nl/en/home/ for my main.

For backup Block account http://perm.ly/dmca Because they have this:

We combine a multitude of different Usenet providers into one single, easy to use service to ensure that your articles and completion rates are up to scratch - nothing but the best is good enough. We are the only Usenet provider in the world having this unique feature and it ensures that we are able to retrieve your articles, even when they may have been removed or DMCAed at other providers.

Dont use high speed account because you dont get full speed! 20mbit is fine or block account.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast