Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a 0-day tracker worth it compared to specialized trackers?

Is A 0-day tracker like ftn and scc worth it compared to specialized trackers such as passthepopcorn, blackcatgames, btn etc? How much faster are they at grabbing content compared to these sites?
    Last edited by baskinghobo; 07-05-2014 at 12:12 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Worth what?

And I suppose that depends if you value getting stuff infinitesimally faster than retention or content.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    In my mind the only type of content where pretimes could really even matter are TV shows. And even then I'm talking about the waiting 10-20 minutes it takes for a show to get on TVT.com, not the difference between SCC and BTN, which is largely irrelevant.

Also since the content at BTN is unrar-ed I think you could make the case that you would actually be able to physically watch the show more quickly (that is why you're downloading them, right) on BTN since you don't have to unrar the show after downloading it.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I find that IPT, with all of its P2P groups, has some content (movies mainly, and some shows) that never appear on scene-only trackers. If you are desperately waiting for a show, P2P may have it a lot sooner in some cases. There are also more choices when it comes to resolution and file size.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Also since the content at BTN is unrar-ed I think you could make the case that you would actually be able to physically watch the show more quickly (that is why you're downloading them, right) on BTN since you don't have to unrar the show after downloading it.
    I absolutely despise when trackers do this. Pack p2p content however you like (or don't). Leave scene stuff unmolested. At the very very least go to the trouble of including an .srr/.srs so I can rebuild the sets properly.

I can cross seed scene rars on half a dozen trackers with hardlinks. I can go back and forth with it on usenet no problem. Keeping duplicates of larger 1080p content isn't practical.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Eh. I much prefer the ease of having unrar'd content. It's a minor inconvenience to have to unrar things, but given the choice between rar'd and unrar'd I would choose unrar'd every time.

It also means I don't have to keep two copies of the video for seeding purposes (or else I'd have to unrar it every time I want to watch). It's also minor, but it's less disk usage as well, so it's less taxing on your SSD when you don't have to unrar everything.

In addition I personally feel like any tracker in which you feel the need to cross seed at in order to keep your ratio up isn't really a tracker that's worth the effort of staying at.

I guess your concern of going back and forth with usenet is a valid concern, but in my mind it's enough of a fringe case to make me think that generally having unrar'd files is a better choice.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I agree with Rart here. As an end user, which most torrent users are, it is FAR more convenient and less space consuming to download a playable file. For me, this makes a difference because I play my files from a network attached media player. If something is RAR'ed, then I have to let it finish downloading, try to remember what files are RAR'ed and which ones are not then come back to my computer to extract the file(s).

Stooopid Usenet.

EDIT- Software is a bit different, though. RARs are fine there. Not multi-compressed files within other compressions , but a single RAR compression is fine.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 07-06-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    It's fine the way it is. If a tracker keeps everything split in rars because it helps them achieve faster pre times, then it's easy for me to assess it as a twat site. I don't have to ponder it. I'm not against pondering, but I would prefer to spend my pondering time on things that don't make me feel gross inside.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    In addition I personally feel like any tracker in which you feel the need to cross seed at in order to keep your ratio up isn't really a tracker that's worth the effort of staying at.

I guess your concern of going back and forth with usenet is a valid concern, but in my mind it's enough of a fringe case to make me think that generally having unrar'd files is a better choice.
    I don't care for ratio games either, I just look at it as path of least resistance when I share. It's just me whining in the context 0day scene stuff. I bitch when they don't race Samples/Proof too

Ultimately, Idol's criteria: retention and content are most important. A strong request section with posters who actually fill is a huge bonus.

I didn't realise there were issues with standalone devices etc playing rarchives. I'm a vlc/mpc-hc guy for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme
    EDIT- Software is a bit different, though. RARs are fine there. Not multi-compressed files within other compressions , but a single RAR compression is fine.
    Yeah, the zip/diz is a legacy thing they have yet to sunset. They're pretty stubborn.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 07-07-2014 at 01:30 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    I didn't realise there were issues with standalone devices etc playing rarchives.
    With the 4 year olds, a standalone device works for our needs and is easy to restart if someone presses an unknown sequence of buttons that could be quite irritating on a Window$ machine. We have Logitech Revue units which do enough for now. I am tempted to see what Amazon comes out with next year to replace their first gen Fire device. XBMC can be installed on that, which would give me the best of both worlds. Hopefully.

I'm a vlc/mpc-hc guy for the most part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast