Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private trackers vs Usenet

Quote Originally Posted by user3240 View Post
    Most people who interview are turned down. One contradiction that I read on Reddit was that you don't need a seedbox and it's easy to get into top trackers. It would be awfully hard to get PU status without a seedbox. When you first get into a tracker you must spend at least a month seeding things you don't want in order to build up a buffer. Once you have say a 1TB buffer you can finally start to download things you want. Then when your buffer goes down you have to repeat the process if you want to remain a member in good standing.
    Passed the interview, and the only reason I got anywhere as quickly as I did was by seeding scene releases I was getting from usenet and elsewhere. I also know what the hell I'm doing.

Setting up a seedbox & autograb (correctly) isn't rocket surgery, but it isn't completely easy-peasy either.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    . Once you have say a 1TB buffer you can finally start to download things you want.
    You need a 1 TB buffer??? What kind of things are you downloading?

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    You don't have to buffer up to 1TB, but if you want 1080p, it can add up fast. Collections can take 100MB or more in a hurry. Regardless, you have to build up a buffer with free leech torrents or other popular movies and TV shows you may not really want. If it's CD (Flac) or books, the buffer would be much smaller but you still need to build one up. On some sites you can not become a PU unless you are an uploader.

Edited to add: On private torrent sites that have obscure movies such as Karagarga, Cinemageddon etc, there are plenty of dead torrents. At least that never happens on Usenet if you have a long retention server. Sure, you can ask for a reseed at some of them but you often have to offer some of your buffer as bounty.
    Last edited by user3240; 07-11-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: addition

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    That Reddit user/ norkamus can't be taken seriously for no reason whatsoever. There is a huge dis-taste for him on the /vpn subreddit. Some users even believe he is a PIA PVN schill, with all his pro- buy/sign up to the service posts. Not to forget him boasting all the time, I have this, I'm a member on xyz private trackers, I use xyz seedboxes, I run xyz bots for my reddit responses.

: @ Rart in regards to your commnet about him getting a decent amount of upvotes, I would not be surprised if he has alternate reddit accounts. I even recall some users stating that they have tagged him, that whenever they see his post = instant downvotes, and probably he has come up with a way to circumvent that.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by aoshivx View Post
    That Reddit user/ norkamus can't be taken seriously for no reason whatsoever. There is a huge dis-taste for him on the /vpn subreddit. Some users even believe he is a PIA PVN schill, with all his pro- buy/sign up to the service posts. Not to forget him boasting all the time, I have this, I'm a member on xyz private trackers, I use xyz seedboxes, I run xyz bots for my reddit responses.
    Yeah, kind of got that impression. His irc isn't much better. The bot that echoes filesharing reddits is nice I guess.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Years ago when I was 'deep' into P2P, I found that most if not all of the 'shared' material was of very low quality, HD recoded into less than SD quality, SD rendered into video slime. Don't even bring up audio, mp3's of such low bitrate and sample rates that AM radio has more fidelity.

So, once again I beat a hasty retreat to the newsgroups. I'm sure there are probably some folks doing high quality 'stuff', and have the infrastructure (high end seed boxes in large scale facilities), but the cost of such is substantial, and because of that, they are few and far between.

And then add all the hoops to get into the 'right' trackers... the amount of smarts it takes to avoid usenet takedowns is minimal brainpower, and one reaches a far larger audience if that is your goal.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post

And then add all the hoops to get into the 'right' trackers... the amount of smarts it takes to avoid usenet takedowns is minimal brainpower, and one reaches a far larger audience if that is your goal.
    We finally agree on something. I suspect the real reason private trackers are popular is because almost anybody can learn how to torrent with minimal effort. I've found that most people have great difficulty understanding Usenet.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Are you sure you agree ?
    I'm no native english speaker but it sounds to me like you're saying the opposite ...

add all the hoops to get into the 'right' trackers <> almost anybody can learn how to torrent with minimal effort
    the amount of smarts it takes to avoid usenet takedowns is minimal brainpower <> most people have great difficulty understanding Usenet

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    We finally agree on something. I suspect the real reason private trackers are popular is because almost anybody can learn how to torrent with minimal effort. I've found that most people have great difficulty understanding Usenet.
    My 'learning curve' with either was minimal, probably because I was helping to run usenet servers in the mid80's (several universities, then ran my own in the mid-90's) and was there almost at the dawn of p2p (mid-late 90's). But as piercerseth pointed out, some of the better ones are a bit (or more than a bit) of jumping though hoops to get into.

But it may be a 'run back to mama' regarding usenet. Every time it seems that 'the end is near' I do tend to wonder.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by chakara View Post
    add all the hoops to get into the 'right' trackers <> almost anybody can learn how to torrent with minimal effort
    the amount of smarts it takes to avoid usenet takedowns is minimal brainpower <> most people have great difficulty understanding Usenet
    It's certainly easier to seed content vs packing, paring, obfuscating, and posting to usenet. It shouldn't be and I wish more folks asked questions or took interest in how to up. It's like 100:1 posts sab setups, nzbdrone, newznab versus people inquiring about powerpost, mangler, proxies etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12