Thread: Tracking Filesharing

If several years ago when limewire was in use and I shared something on accident. Such as personal documents could the people that downloaded it from me and saved that file to their computer. Could someone figure out who they downloaded it from? Even if the site is now closed down such as limewire? Just curious any help would be appreciated

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Unless the document itself contained the identifying information, I'd say no.

If you are uploading a file and currently connected to that person, it is definitely possible.

In the case of Limewire, you should have no worries at all.

yo

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha View Post
    If several years ago when limewire was in use and I shared something on accident. Such as personal documents could the people that downloaded it from me and saved that file to their computer. Could someone figure out who they downloaded it from? Even if the site is now closed down such as limewire? Just curious any help would be appreciated
    Were you certain anyone even downloaded it from you? Your document(s) would have been unique, so the chances of anyone finding them under a search would have been slim. There is the possibility someone could have looked at your shared folder and grabbed them out of curiosity. But if only you allowed your folder to be seen.

Bottom line: Unless you did everything possible to allow people to see your documents AND someone sought them out, you are fine.

Spoiler: Show
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I'd say it's fairly easy to look up the metadata of the file and to find out some general information about the origin of the file.

I'd say the more important thing is whether anyone would actually care enough to do so. Did you have any sensitive information on those files that people would actually care about?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Even if the site is now closed down such as limewire?
    Limewire used the Gnutella network, which is still active.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Even if the site is now closed down such as limewire?
    Limewire used the Gnutella network, which is still active.
    What still uses gnutella network?

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Were you certain anyone even downloaded it from you? Your document(s) would have been unique, so the chances of anyone finding them under a search would have been slim. There is the possibility someone could have looked at your shared folder and grabbed them out of curiosity. But if only you allowed your folder to be seen.

Bottom line: Unless you did everything possible to allow people to see your documents AND someone sought them out, you are fine.

Spoiler: Show

Did you have to physically add the folder or media to limewire or could it of accidentally been added somehow. I didn't add any folders and I'm pretty sure I didn't change the saved folder location. But I hear a lot of indavertent file sharing.
    Last edited by Yamaha; 07-19-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I'm pretty sure I didn't add any files to limewire or change the saved folder location. Is there anyway it could of happened accidentally that media would get on limewire. I heard a lot about accidental file sharing.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Unless you are still using the network, uninstall. At the very least, make sure the program is not running in the background.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    s
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Unless you are still using the network, uninstall. At the very least, make sure the program is not running in the background.

It is uninstalled. I was just curious how easy it was for things to make their way onto limewire network? I'm pretty sure I didn't add any files to limewire or change the save folder. Is there any other way other files can be added or make their way on limewire?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    It is uninstalled. I was just curious how easy it was for things to make their way onto limewire network? I'm pretty sure I didn't add any files to limewire or change the save folder. Is there any other way other files can be added or make their way on limewire?
    You would have had to add other folders manually.

You seem highly concerned. Were these sensitive photos, identifying documents, or financial records? I ask, 1) because you've made me curious (snoopy, but don't need any real details) and 2) the type of document may change the chances of someone getting curious. For instance, someone looking in your shared folder would possibly be more interested in .jpg files labeled "nude", or even "John Doe income tax 2010". However, considering the millions of random files that were floating around, DSC009876 (default camera naming scheme) would be less likely. Same for "JDT2010"...

Little to fear, for the most part...