Thread: Use wifi card to as as repeater

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I have a wired connection to my bedroom, but would like my old wireless card to act as a repeater for wireless devices such as the Kindle. The bedroom is upstairs and at the exact opposite end of the house from the router.

Can this be done without great pains? I would prefer to not purchase anything additional.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    If you're on Windows 7 or above, you can use the built-in Virtual Wi-Fi functionality for this. Here's a clear enough tutorial.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1...r-windows.html
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Or you could just be lazy if you aren't into command line configuration mods and use hotspot software....

Like this: http://www.connectify.me/

There are paid and unpaid versions, the free version will do what you need.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Or you could just be lazy if you aren't into command line configuration mods and use hotspot software....

Like this: http://www.connectify.me/

There are paid and unpaid versions, the free version will do what you need.
    The link Anon posted made that suggestion. I've already "borrowed" said software and will be playing with the pro version tomorrow.

Thanks to both of you for coming to my aide here. I bumble through networking tasks, but they never seem to go easily for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    If you want to increase your knowledge of networking and get some practice with command line interfaces you could take a dip in the wonderful world of Linux. Although a great deal more n00bie friendly than it used to be, there is still a great deal of configuration you can do and learn. I would suggest if you do, that you look at either a more configurable distro based on either Debian or Red Hat.

Unless you are after a specific task reading about network protocols is about as much fun as watching railroad tracks rust (for the average person), where as actively using a Linux distro gives you the opportunity to practice these skills and expand your knowledge base.

Some of the networking tasks you can trial include configuring SaMBa shares, and setting up servers i.e. an FTP server within the Linux distro to share with other computers on the network.
    Last edited by Artemis; 07-29-2014 at 08:15 PM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    You could always get a DLAN wifi extender kit such as: http://www.devolo.com/en/Products/dLAN-500-WiFi. It certainly beats having to use a PC as a repeater and allows you to use your homes' internal wiring. I've been using these things for about 4 years and they've not failed me once.