Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Newsreader for par & unrar tasks

Hi everyone

With evolving internet speeds, verifying and extracting files becomes relatively speaking more and more time consuming. I've a download speed of around 200Mbit and by far the slowest part is dealing with the files once they're down. Does anyone know if there's a newsreader that is optimized for fast unrar? Of course it has to be fast at downloading too.

Right know I use Newsleacher, but the result isn't very satisfying. Also SABnzb doesn't seem to do much better. I know it probably depends very much on the harddisc, but doing it manually with quickpar and 7zip seems to be much faster.

Thanks for the help!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    You can maybe look into trying Usenet Explorer. I have been using it for years and have been pretty happy with it overall. I'm not sure if it'll be faster than what you're using now though.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Isn't your hardware the bottleneck ?
    Just askin'.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chakara View Post
    Isn't your hardware the bottleneck ?
    Just askin'.
    Yep, mainly ye ole HDD.
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Like the guys have said and you speculated, unrar is disk bound. Greatest improvement would be downloading to one disk, and unraring to another. Fast ones obviously. SSDs, RAMdisks, or raid.

If your cpu is the bottleneck, alt.binz and newzbin clients will for example let you mess with cache sizes, yEnc decoder priorities, pausing downloads while you PAR/unRAR. etc

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Certainly would help (particularly if one has a nice, fairly large SSD) but it would also be better if the programmers of the tools (par/rar) would optimize for multi-core operations.

Multipar really improved over Quickpar, and there is a 64bit winrar but any improvement over the 32bit is very minimal at best (I haven't tried the absolute newest on a multi-core machine of late) but lets face it, these operations are cpu intensive and, in the case of winrar, need to be updated.

I never let a downloader 'do the job', I'm not that lazy. Besides which, I've run into, over the years, many 'bad packs' and such that doing things 'manually' is always the way to go.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I mean I guess it's a good problem to have. "Oh geez, I'm downloading at 25MB/s and have to wait a bit for shit to catch up. ho hum."

RAM is cheap, DDR4 is seeing a wider roll out, and I imagine much greater adoption of H265 next year once everyone gets their shit together.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    nzbvortex for mac

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    I mean I guess it's a good problem to have. "Oh geez, I'm downloading at 25MB/s and have to wait a bit for shit to catch up. ho hum."
    +1 to this ^
    Digital World...You can't handle the Digital World! What did your Mom buy you a PUTER for Christmas!
    http://usenetgeeks.com

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Thanks guys, I got a new SSD for downloading and extract to my HD. I now get faster download speeds since caching on an SSD is much faster (no need to jump around the hd while downloading multiple rars simultaneously) but the overall extracting speed is still slower compared to manually par & unrar.

Yeah its not really a problem, more like an inconvenicence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast