Thread: Our World War

Stehle's Avatar Poster
    "Our World War"...totally moved me.

Comments from those who watched?

(With not only the realism, but also the followup narrative... perhaps it's just me, but it kind of reminds me of a WWI "Band of Brothers")
    Last edited by Stehle; 08-14-2014 at 01:04 AM. Reason: 'nuff said.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    I have watched the first 2 episodes and totally agree with you. It didn't glamorise war neither did it debate its futility it just told you what happened and with the letters and audio recording at the ends of the programme made it entirely believable and that it had not been 'hollywooded' for ratings.

Two thoughts on the second episode -

Could you be shot for cowardice for failing to take part in a firing squad?
    How many actually walked across no mans land towards enemy lines under orders not to run?

The BBC have pushed a lot of WWI stuff this year and this series so far has definitely been the pinnacle.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gloster View Post
    I have watched the first 2 episodes and totally agree with you. It didn't glamorise war neither did it debate its futility it just told you what happened and with the letters and audio recording at the ends of the programme made it entirely believable and that it had not been 'hollywooded' for ratings.

Two thoughts on the second episode -

Could you be shot for cowardice for failing to take part in a firing squad?
    How many actually walked across no mans land towards enemy lines under orders not to run?

The BBC have pushed a lot of WWI stuff this year and this series so far has definitely been the pinnacle.
    Thank you gloster! I was waiting for the next episode! (I will watch it tonight!)

Having not watched it yet I feel ill advised to answer, but...

1.) From what I know of the military here in the states... I would think hopefully no. (Severely reprimanded yes, but just a guess.)

2.) Tactically that doesn't make sense, but I will look forward to a better answer (I hope!) after watching.

(The file I DL'ed said only 3 parts?? Do you think it needs to be an extended BBC series also?)
    Last edited by Stehle; 08-20-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Getting prepared...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Speedo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    nice, thanks for he tip, downloading now

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Great episode!

I see the whole moral / morale dilemma with the firing squad. (I have shot a few blank cartridges in my day also... you can tell.)

The walking straight into your enemy is whacked. He may have just been exercising his authority. (Making the Pals cringe perhaps?)

True hardship and I wait for the next installment.

(So glad I wasn't there.)
    Last edited by Stehle; 08-22-2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: 'nuff said.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Third episode on last night (only watched the first 10 minutes so far on iplayer) this seems to follow some tankers on a mass armoured assault across enemy lines.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gloster View Post
    Third episode on last night (only watched the first 10 minutes so far on iplayer) this seems to follow some tankers on a mass armoured assault across enemy lines.

Thanks again
    ! Just snagged it and downing it now.

(I'm hoping that BBC will see the popularity of the truth... so many stories, so little time.)

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Watched the 3rd installment... one of the best mini-series/documentary dramas, (I guess.) for the WWI period I have yet to watch.

(Hope BBC takes note... Bravo BBC!)
    Last edited by Stehle; 08-25-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: 'nuff said.