Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which router to try?

i have the medialink 300 router and i think it sometimes does hiccups.which router should i give a try? budget is about $70

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    First off, what are your primary and occasional uses? Are you an online gamer, use streaming services (Netflix/Amazon, etc.), do large amounts of downloading, etc.? Are you using it for a single room, or as a wireless hub for a whole house? Would your budget stretch for more advanced features available in alternative firmwares?

Price may not be the number one factor in helping you decide on the right choice, although just about everyone wants reliability, speed, connectivity. Give us some info, and I'm sure you'll get some good advice here.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 08-23-2014 at 12:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    well 1 desktop+1 laptop.xbox 360 gaming.two tv's with netflix.i have 50mb comcast connection.we just do alot of youtube,browsing emails,netflex.when sisters come over computers is at around 5-6 max.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    If you're willing to put in a little effort, Asus RT-N16 w/ custom firmware. Amazon and NewEgg have em for right around 82USD. If you need 5GHz the N56 is about 88USD.

EDIT: the only other model that I'm aware of at that price point is the DIR-655, which I don't care for. Although, it is a bit cheaper.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 08-23-2014 at 01:32 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I have personal experience with the DIR-655, which lasted me quite some time. It is an older model, which does not accept custom firmwares. I'd skip it for a more modern unit, honestly.

I also had an Asus N56, which was decent enough. I was not overly pleased with the way the unit stands. Once you get it loaded up with cables, they wanted to drag it off my window sill. I also prefer a unit that has adjustable/replaceable antennas. I returned this unit for its (few) shortcomings, and the fact I was given a Linksys WRT610N. It also does not have external antenna, but has been suitable broadcasting from our lower level to the upstairs.

If you are on a single level, I'd give the nod to the Asus N56 at its current price. If you are trying to cover a larger area, it may not be the best option.

TP-Link also has some offerings in the price range. Read enough reviews first, and there may be a worthwhile option there.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I have personal experience with the DIR-655, which lasted me quite some time. It is an older model, which does not accept custom firmwares. I'd skip it for a more modern unit, honestly.

I also had an Asus N56, which was decent enough. I was not overly pleased with the way the unit stands. Once you get it loaded up with cables, they wanted to drag it off my window sill. I also prefer a unit that has adjustable/replaceable antennas. I returned this unit for its (few) shortcomings, and the fact I was given a Linksys WRT610N. It also does not have external antenna, but has been suitable broadcasting from our lower level to the upstairs.

If you are on a single level, I'd give the nod to the Asus N56 at its current price. If you are trying to cover a larger area, it may not be the best option.

TP-Link also has some offerings in the price range. Read enough reviews first, and there may be a worthwhile option there.
    Sound advice. I'm a huge fan of external (removable) antennas. It sucks the 66r/u's are so much more money. (At that point you could start shopping 80211AC gear)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    We are both very much on the same page here, ps. The only other thing I would add is that the router is so central to every device it touches that being tight fisted (not that $80 is entirely unreasonable) here will bite the user in the butt for the entire lifespan of the device. Considering the amount of time one sends data through the router, we are talking about numerous hours waiting for lag (we've all waited for leg, haven't we... ) while we could be more productive/enjoying our games, etc. that the difference between $80 and $130 ($50 additional now) comes to pennies per day of use. Just a thought.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    turin's Avatar Turambar BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    I have two routers from D-link, a wired and a wireless. Both are working nicely!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    FlyDrago
    I'm Using Netgear and its working amazing

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    i like the netgear nighthawk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast