Thread: How can I download from a private tracker using a magnet link?

Poster BT Rep: +2
    Testing this thing..

I think it gets peers list, but i connect only to leechers usually, showing them always as 0%
    whilst in the tracker i appear as seeding the torrent(!)..It worked only once, when I restarting many times the torrent and a new leecher appeared into that swarm. Then, it started to download.

In TPB you dont need active dht to download using magnet links, so i dont understand why it is not working properly using a private tracker announce with own torrent hash..WTF

P.S. : Is there a tool to convert a magnet link to a torrent file? I found nothing.

I could find a reply:
    Although it isn't specified in magnet link protocol extension, some popular bittorrent programs won't send info dictionary (the torrent meta data) when the "private" flag is set.
    http://forum.tixati.com/support/51/
    Last edited by pakito; 08-25-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I am sort of confused here. Magnet and private just dont go together.

You need dht on for all magnet links (no central tracker so you need dht on). Private tracker cant be private with magnet links (no way to limit downloaders to only members).
    LSS #1

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by smcewa11 View Post

You need dht on for all magnet links (no central tracker so you need dht on). Private tracker cant be private with magnet links (no way to limit downloaders to only members).
    You get peers via tracker, usually. Magnet links include trackers names, usually..
    When you are downloading via magnet link, it needs to download metadata info (filenames, hashs of files and so on..) from a peer with data. Then, client makes a torrent file into cache and start to download data..But when "private flag" is set up, most of clients dont send metada info. But i think there is a gap sometimes..

If no peer can send metadainfo, your client appears stuck as (fake) seeder in the tracker..No idea, why this happens.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I dont use magnet links at all so maybe I am not understanding this but private trackers include member info in their .torrent files, in the form of a passkey usually, and there is no way that an available to anyone magnet link can self-generate this.

By private trackers do you mean the, in effect, public trackers that you need to sign up to that have .torrents with public tracker's attached to their .torrents? (and these trackers are dht on and not private) Perhaps if you linked the tracker url someone with more expertise than me with magnet links could check it out.

edit: make that the site url, not the tracker.
    Last edited by smcewa11; 08-28-2014 at 03:07 AM. Reason: make that the site url, not the tracker.
    LSS #1

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    richasis's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by smcewa11 View Post

hesright.jpg
    ...and that's more than the prolific posters on FST can say, because... well, they're prolific posters on FST.