Thread: Server Updates - Post Time-Warner Debacle

Everyone (especially those on Time-Warner Cable Internet) should know by now that the (probably) summer crew at TWC really messed things up over the past 24 hours.

It may be related, but who knows, as BlocknewsUS is down for the count as well today (at least trying to connect via Comcast, who may also be having problems as they were down for at least 2-3 hours yesterday; unknown as to interoperability problems with either TWC) or perhaps involved with the current big snafu going on with Level3 in San Francisco, which has cause L3 to reroute all San Jose bound traffic to LA and then back into SJ/Santa Clara.

If I had a much larger 'pipe' I could figure things out a bit more, but I don't. Those not on the west coast or not trying to connect to either GiganewsUS or AstrawebUS may not have run into the problems or see really wacky traffic routing going on over the past 24-48 hours (or more as I started seeing things getting flaky at least a week or so ago).

Maybe things will settle down when the 'A' teams get back from vacation after Labor Day in a week or so.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Luckily I was asleep for the large majority of the outage so it didn't affect me too much, but it is a little disconcerting that a routine maintenance can cause a nationwide outage.

At least we got something good out of it (from here):

I have directed the New York State Department of Public Service to investigate this outage as part of its review of Comcast's proposed merger with Time Warner. The Department will also review whether the outage affected Time Warner's provision of telephone service in any way. In addition, the Department will include its analysis of this event in its ongoing study of the telecom industry, which is exploring potential changes to the regulatory landscape pertaining to telephone, internet and cable.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    You've really got to be kidding me. The 'fines' assessed by the FCC are so minimal, it's the 'cost of doing business'; the same with any 'state' agency that likewise gives anyone a 'slap on the hand'.

And that's IF they do anything, or the company doesn't simply have the law firms they have on 'ultimate retainer' go after the fines, and eventually get them knocked down to somewhere less than the the cost of a couple summer interns.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Supposedly, TWC had an issue with a router that caused the massive outage. The FCC fine though will probably be passed on as a rate increase as I wouldn't put it past TWC to do something like that. God I hope Google comes to NC (good chance they will with an announcement at the end of the year).
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    I'd heard some TWC engineer goofed and borked the BGP routes on one of their core routers. The CIDR report from that time looks like the Mariana Trench L3 had some problems by me around the same time. Shit happens.

I'll personally dole out sexual favors to whomever brings muni fiber to Chicago.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 08-30-2014 at 11:47 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    God I hope Google comes to NC (good chance they will with an announcement at the end of the year).
    I'll assume by NC you mean North Carolina; If (probably a big if at this point) the FCC will actually act on getting muni fiber some help, there are a couple of existing local fiber plants that are itching to expand there, but have been thwarted by big money interests at the state level.

A Big city like Chicago will need a big company to come in, although there are a lot of suburbs that could jump into the mix if they got off their rear ends. I spent a goodly part of the mid-80's engineering and running fiber builds all over 'Chicago-land' both in the burbs and throughout the 'inner city loop', including up the big high-rises (Sears Tower, Hancock Building) and including the Chicago BOT.