Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Astraweb problems again

I believe any newsreader that lists the headers (with the routing information) in any reasonable plan-text way shows it, at least any that I've ever used, will show the originating server, all the servers it jumped through (remember, usenet is an electronic bucket-brigade) until it gets to the server you are on.

What Hypatia was saying is, if you have or know some poster who posts on 'x', you could get an account on that server and be 'first in line' so to speak to grab things before they have to get propagated and whacked or whatever. May or may not actually work, and better than simply waiting for it to show up on you 'favorite' server, as if all the propagation is working right it will take maybe two hours to get around the globe.

The 'power-post' type poster programs and their variants pre-generate the nzb's and post them (unless you specifically halt that posting). Posting programs like JBinUp DON'T pre-generate the nzb but wait until the parts are posted (and verified) and then it takes specific actions of the operator (human) to generate and save off the nzb, then post (either by JBinUp or by another program (like power-post). In either case, that nzb may be posted off-set by usenet group (space), time, or both. Or neither.
    I've seem folks who post part of the rar archive in one group, then parts in another, then the nzb in a third. With the password found only on a 'private' pay-site. Or not.

IF a binary search site gets all the parts, or the server you use does, then you're good to go to generate it up (again, most newsreaders do this). But usenet is generally not that 'good', and x parts will be MIA, and hopefully there's more than enough pars to fill in the gaps.

This of course is without all the takedown nonsense. I post 2TB/month on average, and only twice has anything been taken down; it was re-posted within a week, and still exists on all the servers that I monitor, to this day (same 'name', interestingly). One of those was the nzb's but not the actual binary item (go figure). So apparently they simply whack it once and don't ever re-search for it ever again. Folks who complain apparently haven't figured this out. Same with those who post things that will disappear within a few ticks of a clock (pay per view pro-wrestling is a sure goner), so I don't know what those folks simply have the archive saved off on a drive somewhere and re-post it a couple days later. Or maybe they do and I simply haven't noticed.

But since they don't do the most simplest obfuscation techniques, they figure the 'auto-grab' systems work just fine. But I don't get the thinking; all that work over the years to get retention up to the 7+ years was what, not worth it?

2. Newsgroups   -   #72
    Have dropped AStra and moved to newshosting.

3. Newsgroups   -   #73
    At this point, probably a good idea.

4. Newsgroups   -   #74
    Poster
    ive been having a lot of problems with anything i download being incomplete...reading this seems to make more sense now, will give some of the suggestions a bash and see...thanks all

5. Newsgroups   -   #75
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    So as things are at the moment , torrents are the most reliable way to download files . I only use usenet when there are not enough seeders for something old .

6. Newsgroups   -   #76
    Usenet is great and work, you have just BAD nzb source (public source which get DMCAed) plus astra, you need to find better source, alo other usp not this astra crap :-)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678