Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Astraweb problems again

drunkenm4ster's Avatar Poster
    Hi All,

You have probably heard this all before, but every file I download from FST (movies, pc games), I am getting missing blocks, for example the most recent being Predestination and Far Cry 4. Even happening when using an indexer - nzbindex.
    Any solutions please?, I am locked to Astraweb for a couple of months methinks, as I bought a years sub to keep the cost down, bur willing to bite the cost as this is getting pointless, and oh how I love FST NZBs.
    Thank you

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Again, which Astraweb (please)? And since the nzb used is coming from a 3rd party source (in this case FST), not the original uploader, one needs to realize that it may contain the 'gaps' to start with (even the large hoover sites like NZBIndex and Binsearch have tons of 'holes' in their nzb's).

The Astraweb/US/EU 'fades' that I reported a while back (see the thread on that) affecting things from around 6 weeks old to 6 months, has been almost completely been repaired (to 98+% completion), so it only takes a handful of pars to fix. You don't list some percentage in overall gaps that you are getting; did you run NZBcc on the nzb's beforehand (?) and I take it no fills server setup in whatever program you're using to hoover up things, not even the 'reverse' Astra plant...(eu if us main, or us if eu main)?

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    drunkenm4ster's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Again, which Astraweb (please)? And since the nzb used is coming from a 3rd party source (in this case FST), not the original uploader, one needs to realize that it may contain the 'gaps' to start with (even the large hoover sites like NZBIndex and Binsearch have tons of 'holes' in their nzb's).

The Astraweb/US/EU 'fades' that I reported a while back (see the thread on that) affecting things from around 6 weeks old to 6 months, has been almost completely been repaired (to 98+% completion), so it only takes a handful of pars to fix. You don't list some percentage in overall gaps that you are getting; did you run NZBcc on the nzb's beforehand (?) and I take it no fills server setup in whatever program you're using to hoover up things, not even the 'reverse' Astra plant...(eu if us main, or us if eu main)?
    Hi Beck38,

Wow thanks for the response, very impressed.
    I am using the EU server.
    Did not know about the NZBcc remedy, so will give it a go.
    Do I need to try anything else?.
    I use Grabit for the downloads, Quick Par, and will for alternate software, that would be much appreciated.
    Once again thank you.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I watch Astra/US like a hawk, since it's my main (and internet mileage wise, closest) posting server, but others have noted (here on FST and elsewhere) that the EU plant is a bit more than unsteady. I've noted that whereas the US plant has a near 100% completion on an nzb, the EU is, on average, a couple points lower (i.e., 100%/US and 98%/EU).

But even if you don't want to employ a 'fills' server (Blocknews is a big favorite, with both US and EU/Amsterdam plants), the first step is to always first use the 'reverse' plant to cheaply (no additional cost) as I pointed out, in your case, have the US plant as the first 'fills' server, then if you want, Blocknews or some other plant (although a lot of folks will say some other Dutch provider may be better when dealing with DMCA takedowns) but that is up to you. Some EU folks use the US server as their main, but the speed and latency crossing the Atlantic and then the North American continent is a much slower process, and ISP speeds and throughput in Europe well exceed that generally available in the US (or Canada).

But first, get that reverse plant in your setup and it should help a lot, hopefully getting you to the point where the pars can work.

I also keep harping that a lot of Euro posters have let their amount/percentage of pars get way to low, thinking that 1-2% is 'good enough', and don't realize that folks utilizing a slightly (or more than that) unsteady server need more; I don't ever do less than 10% on anything (back in the 'olden days' 15+ years ago that minimum was more like 20%), as I've seen even top-flight servers slowly 'fade' parts over time (I'm talking months to years). But folks tend to think in the short term, not the long; human nature. And saving what, another hour or two generating and posting those pars is thought to be 'too much' in their scheme of things.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    the first step is to always first use the 'reverse' plant to cheaply (no additional cost)
    Damn, I didn`t think of that so many thanks ... my tweaknews block will now, I hope, get much less hits.

Regards
    Grib

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Those bad speed are really killing it for me, because completion wise they're good.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by chakara View Post
    Those bad speed are really killing it for me, because completion wise they're good.
    I'll 'assume' you're talking about the EU plant, as others have pretty much historically said the same thing about that plant. But, the US plant 2-3 months ago was suffering the same kind of bad throughput, and it was tracked down to bad routers at Astras main feed from Level 3, have you done any testing trying (if you can) some different routing into/through Amsterdam to the input ports...? If you do traceroutes into the plant, do they change occasionally and can you figure (when it does) things get either better or worse, depending....?

That was the 'hint' as to the L3 problems in SF/SJ, as occasionally the data routing hit Sprintnet on the coming out of the main L3 routers on it's way to San Jose, and everything worked fine, they it would 'go direct' L3 into Astra and it would all go to hell in a handbasket. Eventually some folks a bit closer to the 'action' figured that some older Cisco routers used by L3 were running out of routing table memory (or something like that) and when L3 made a slight adjustment, running the traffic coming into SF and pointed it at LA, then from LA back into SF, things 'cleared up'.

They left it running that way for 2-3 weeks until they swapped out those older routers (they apparently couldn't be upgraded further memory wise) and things have been running perfectly ever since; and one can see small 'wobbles' and changes in the routing tables every once in a while, the latest has been a new company (pccwbtn) right there off L3 in SF going to SJ.

Being always interested in 'what the heck is that?' when I see something 'new' around the internet, I looked it up and it's a somewhat new company (started in 2ooo) that is now having a submarine fiber system built between the Mediterranean (France/Italy), through the Middle East (Egypt/Saudi Arabia), through the Indian Ocean to India, and around to Vietnam and then China with a few of the other southeast Asia countries with feeders as well. Being built to carry at 40Tbits. Exactly why they have some routers in San Francisco...?

It's a main transit point, so they have some hardware there. Why any of my traffic headed toward Astra in San Jose goes through it? The wonders of the internet I guess. Wired Planet. And one has to wonder what exactly (other than Astra itself) is causing the problems around Amsterdam, maybe some good detective work might yield some answers eventually.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    I have no idea what you just said

I want to set up my grabber, click connect and max out my connection. I don't care about traceroutes, I don't care about plants, I don't care about submarine fiber optic cables.

I pay a service and expect it to work. If not, I'll just change providers.

Although it looks like Usenetnow SSL servers can't connect on Newsleecher v4 (and it's a bug they know about, the tech guy asked me immediately "what version of Newsleecher ?), so I'll have to find someone else !

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    99% of the things i grab now from astraweb is useless and cant be repaired old stuff and brand new it doesnt matter all full of broken unfilled files and all the pars are always damaged so nearly always cant be repaired

its starting to be a real pain in the ass

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhead1000 View Post
    99% of the things i grab now from astraweb (
    Once again, I'll have to 'assume' you mean 'Astra/EU' when you say 'astraweb'. And I'll have to repeat (once again) you ARE utilizing a secondary fill feed to the 'opposite' plant (eu main then us fill) that would most probably get your completion up to at least the level of pars repair (?).

Virtually all the major plants have us/eu 'pairs' and this 'no cost' fills is the first step before 'eating' an actual fills server (like Blocknews). I rarely have to actually 'repair' anything I get from Astra/US, and I use (of course) Astra/EU as my first fills server (with a secondary Blocknews).

So I bring this up all the time here (it seems like mostly with folks who 'mainline' off Astra/EU) and I'm very quick to point out any 'wobbles' and such with the US plant as it's very close to me (both internet wise and 'as the crow flies').

So make sure that your newsreader (or something like SABnzbD which is what I use) is set up with secondary (or more) servers, and I'm sure that even with the slow(er) rates having to 'cross the pond' and then across the continent to get to Astra/US in San Jose, that the trip is worth it to get your completion rate up.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast