Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tweaknews- another recent Highwinds/UNS acquisition

Darn, I thought TweakNews was good. I hope it takes a while for DMCA takedowns!

2. Newsgroups   -   #32
    Even the free 1 Mbit address no longer works. Not that it would have been much use anymore. God damn highwinds!

3. Newsgroups   -   #33
    I have a block account with Tweak. I used them as a backup server due to their more lax takedowns. Does anyone have a good alternative for this?

4. Newsgroups   -   #34
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gooberling View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad I held off on renewing as mine's expiring in a few days. I get that these guys have to do take downs, but do they have to do them immediately? Anybody know how long they have under DMCA rules to comply?

That's the thing, the dmca laws are poorly written which is why they get abused. All of them auto-dmca I'd guess, it's just a matter of timing. Currently highwinds and Xsnews are the fastest takedowns

5. Newsgroups   -   #35
    Well, I went back to Astra. Guess I have to be quicker on the jump to grab stuff.

6. Newsgroups   -   #36
    Poster
    I'd been using tweaknews for a long time but recently a lot of removed tv shows and stuff. I just reupped for 6 months then the same day decided to try bucket. I was so impressed I updated from the free to a 6 months there. Stupid tweak wouldnt let me cancel or downgrade or anything. F those guys. Just gave the account to a friend.

7. Newsgroups   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by bubjet View Post
    I have a block account with Tweak. I used them as a backup server due to their more lax takedowns. Does anyone have a good alternative for this?
    Seconded, what is the next best alternative please?

8. Newsgroups   -   #38
    If you're looking for a lifetime block account that is not served by Highwinds, basically all that's left is Astraweb, Newsoo and XSnews (+ resellers). So it's actually not too expensive to just get accounts at all of them and see whichever works best.

9. Newsgroups   -   #39
    My 3 months Tweaknews subscription expired Friday, I knew it was coming but usually get sent a renewal discount email, though didn't happen this time and no discount offered.

Since dumping torrents about 7 years ago I've been with Hitnews, XLned and most recently Tweaknews which I note are all Highwinds based on the Reddit list. Am currently giving UsenetBucket a try, Im aware it receives mixed reviews on here but I seldom download really old stuff, the only problem I can recall was trying to get series one of Person Of Interest. Finally there was little benefit to signing up for a 3 month account so will try it month by month. Other than that might try Cheapnews or return to a Highwinds provider.

I think the key is to stay away from Public trackers and or grab fast to avoid DMCA issues (remembers a nightmare several years ago trying to grab the last of the Batman trilogy).

10. Newsgroups   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by gloster View Post
    My 3 months Tweaknews subscription expired Friday, I knew it was coming but usually get sent a renewal discount email, though didn't happen this time and no discount offered.

Since dumping torrents about 7 years ago I've been with Hitnews, XLned and most recently Tweaknews which I note are all Highwinds based on the Reddit list. Am currently giving UsenetBucket a try, Im aware it receives mixed reviews on here but I seldom download really old stuff, the only problem I can recall was trying to get series one of Person Of Interest. Finally there was little benefit to signing up for a 3 month account so will try it month by month. Other than that might try Cheapnews or return to a Highwinds provider.

I think the key is to stay away from Public trackers and or grab fast to avoid DMCA issues (remembers a nightmare several years ago trying to grab the last of the Batman trilogy).
    I've been using both bucket and tweak for the past three months and tweak has been far better for takedowns. My bucket just expired and I think my tweak account will expire in a couple days. Thinking of giving Astraweb a shot if I dont get the discount email from tweak. Or might try Frugal. I know, just another highwinds reseller, but its good enough until I find something better.
    Last edited by cardboardbox; 04-21-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234