Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: "america's Ignorance Of The World Is Now A

That is actually 6.3 BILLION, and no, the rest of the world probably doesn't care if you go out drinking with your mates.

BUT I have to say that a country's foriegn policy come directly from it's general society, and while it is very easy for a government to a create a big scare and push legislation through that will affect people in other parts of the world, it is VERY hard to change the policy once people have stopped to think about what is going on.

A great example is Australia's policy on Illegal Immigrants. For years they have been slipping in on boats from Indonesia in lots of 10 or 15 or 40. No-one really cared about it until afer 9/11. America had a big panic about how they hijackers got into the country and because Australia is friends with the US, the paranoia filtered down to us. Then a BIG boat of refugees sunk and a nice freighter ship picked them up and tried to take them to Australia. Our Prime Minister had promised George Bush he would make sure that no terrorist came to the US from Australia, so WE started to look at OUR border security. The Prime Minister pretty much said: "Look at that big boat full of people, that's my point, we don't know who is getting through our borders!" So many people panicked and said they wanted tougher border protection that the Australian government created laws saying that you can be deported if you don't apply for refugee status in your OWN country before coming here. The the problem now is that if you try apply to Australia for refugee status in your own country, they kill you. Which is why you are trying to get out of there in the first place.

We have had so many public inquiries about it, and there have only been TWO guys who may have had terrorist links. And they both came by plane. 97% of the people we kick out on technicalities are REAL refugees. So thousands of legitimate refugees, fleeing from murderous regiems and persecution are punnished because we let a stupid bit of legislation get through while we were scared.

The only reason we passed the legislation was because we thought we migt be a target.
    The only reason Australia could be a target is because we backed the US.
    The only reason we backd the US is because we want beter trade deals, so you see even your foriegn TRADE policy can affect an Afganian refugee.
    And US trade policy comes from the people you vote for, so please choose carefully, and don't just vote for someone cause thy say they will cut your tax bill (like Bush did).

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Double Agent
    wow americans keep throwing money like that i am gonna be rich!!!

more money for me

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Originally posted by ang3968@24 November 2003 - 04:30
    I think the same could be said to some extent to most English speaking countries... we know what we hear on the news but little else about a lot of countries... and ignorance is no longer a viable excuse if it ever was..
    and that's precisely what people like Alex H seem to forget. I'm not saying Americans aren't uninformed about the rest of the world in general. They are. However, Alex would do good to look at his own country's "uninformedness" rather than attacking America's. It goes both ways. Also, your attack on hmpl was childish in my opinion. I read the thread, it look to me like you were looking for an American target, and you found one.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by ang3968@24 November 2003 - 04:30
    I think the same could be said to some extent to most English speaking countries... we know what we hear on the news but little else about a lot of countries... and ignorance is no longer a viable excuse if it ever was..
    Agreed.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot@24 November 2003 - 05:12

this guy hated americans too.......

nice company you keep.
    Well, the Bush family was building concentration camps for him in the 30's.

This isnt anti-American, at the same time 100's, if not 1000's of US citizens were coming to the UK to fight against nazism....

What one set of citizens do, does not define a country.

Now for "Devils Advocate".....

America, The 4th Reich

Again; i dont hold with his views, but as Voltair said "I will fight to the Death for his Right to state them".

You keep shouting "Anti-American"......please define this, as i think its something that is not possible.

The USA is a collection of 50 States, each with different Laws, Cultures and Traditions. The only thing they have in common is Federal Taxes and Foreign Policy.

If you say I am anti-american foreign policy....I agree. I have news for you, most of the world are, and quite a number of Americans.

If you say Im against Federal Taxes....tell me about them and i'll give you an opinion. I have no opinion, as I dont know what they are, and dont impact on me (well they do, but in an abstract way that i cant predict, and so reserve judgement on)

If you say im "Anti-American", your talking crap...

Am i anti:

The States where you marry your cousin @ 15, or the ones you cant sneeze without permission until 21?

The ones where Brothels and Hookers are a way of life, or the ones where its frowned upon to kiss a girl until your married?

The ones where you will be lynched for not being being a White heterosexual Christian if you so much as J-walk, or the ones where there is a different Religion on each Street Corner?

I dont know why im bothering to write this, as all you will come back with is "Anti-American"...its a null word. It means nothing.

Now that you have decided im anti-american.... There are a lot of good stuff come out of the USA. I cant stress how much i admire the Peace Corps, for example... I doubt you will find one member on here with anything bad to say about them.

However, you call us "Anti-American" to criticise something that has a direct impact on every other country in the world.

How can you expect us to listen when you spout the same crap about every subject?

If you look up, on this topic I agree that this is a flaw of every English Speaking Nation....if anything, I'd say that parts of the USA are well ahead of the UK in basics such as speaking a 2nd language. I cant, yet there are parts of the USA that speak Spanish as easily as English. Others that speak German as easily, and yet others that speak French as easily.

However, instead of taking advantage of these facts and shooting the poster down in flames, you fall into the trap of attacking him and changing the subject to something as distasteful as Hitler?

Think.....why do you think Americans are so misunderstood?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    than if you feel i spout nothing but crap, i will make everybody happy and leave.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    You misunderstood the meaning of my post.

I meant about the "Anti-American" stuff...

You had a perfect opportunity to totally discredit the poster on this one...

You wasted it.....why?
    :'(

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Double Agent
    bravo, rat faced, well said

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@25 November 2003 - 03:30
    There are a lot of good stuff come out of the USA. I cant stress how much i admire the Peace Corps, for example... I doubt you will find one member on here with anything bad to say about them.

The Peace Corps! Are you kidding? This organisation is so infiltrated by the CIA that it may as well share offices. They are also responsible for huge amounts of drug smuggling into the USA and Canada. I know this from PERSONAL experience.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Sorry, I'm not trying to get up anyone's nose. I just know that after 9/11 there were a lot of people asking "whodunnit and why?" and that report shows that America needs to know a lot more about the rest of the world, and the the more understanding there is, the less likely it is for international "situations" to become inflamed.

And Australia would do well to follow the report's recomendations too!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast