Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is what.cd an outdated torrent website?

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I'm not a member at what.cd. Ca_aok's post seems to imply that you have to be careful and selective in your downloading habits, and scour the web/your local store to find and locate music that isn't on the site in order to upload it. Also you might potentially have to purposefully download music you're not interested in to pad your ratio (that's how I would try to get a buffer on a hard to seed site, although I haven't done that in a long time). Complaints from the other posts on this thread also seem to indicate that keeping a ratio is pretty difficult.

Keep in mind I prefaced my post by saying I was just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. I'm simply curious as to how many people might have considered that if you don't like spending effort to manage a what.cd ratio, that simply working a bit and earning the money to actually buy the music might be a better use of your time. I think it's a fairly interesting point to discuss and a logical transition of the topic. Piracy is a response to unrealistic market tactics and prices. In a landscape where music is getting cheaper and subscription services are becoming more prevalent, is what.cd as necessary as it used to be?
    Last edited by Rart; 02-13-2015 at 08:18 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Musicians work hard learning their craft, measurably much harder than anybody of a torrent site and yet you don't seem to have the same sense of empathy when stealing their stuff.

You want to steal stuff,fine but don't have the affront to try and make me believe that "out of the goodness of anybody's heart" factors into the equation.
    +1 for the logic. And yes I do have sympathy and I hate myself for doing it. I thought about going all legal on my music but my finances don't yet allow me too. I'm on the very edge of giving up listening to music all together, my excuses for piracy won't suffices for my innocence I guess.

Until 2011 I purchased selective music. I know of the stores that will get you entire Qobaz release for 9 euros and Amazon V0's for under 2 euros. I'm so fucked up, I still can't get it legal, shame on me

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    It is pretty rare for me to use What as I am not as big a rare music fan as it seems you all are. One day of seedbox time on it six or so years ago and I upped 300gb. That was with a 100mb box. Seedbox plus free leech equals win on What. It really is that simple.
    LSS #1

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    I'm not a member at what.cd. Ca_aok's post seems to imply that you have to be careful and selective in your downloading habits, and scour the web/your local store to find and locate music that isn't on the site in order to upload it. Also you might potentially have to purposefully download music you're not interested in to pad your ratio (that's how I would try to get a buffer on a hard to seed site, although I haven't done that in a long time). Complaints from the other posts on this thread also seem to indicate that keeping a ratio is pretty difficult.

Keep in mind I prefaced my post by saying I was just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. I'm simply curious as to how many people might have considered that if you don't like spending effort to manage a what.cd ratio, that simply working a bit and earning the money to actually buy the music might be a better use of your time. I think it's a fairly interesting point to discuss and a logical transition of the topic. Piracy is a response to unrealistic market tactics and prices. In a landscape where music is getting cheaper and subscription services are becoming more prevalent, is what.cd as necessary as it used to be?
    You put it more eloquently than I did so thank you for that. The thing about what.cd(those who don't have the time/inclination to scour the web for upload material OR those who don't have seedboxes which btw is the general torrenting populace) is that if it truly serves as a library then any member of that site should have the ability to download whatever they want whenever just like when you go to a library all you have is a membership card and you get whichever book you want as long as it's available. At what.cd you can't do that unless you have a huge buffer(which btw you have to work hard for in the first place which you don't have to at a library),you have to literally pick and choose what to download or wait for a freeleech which btw even those with massive upload credit wait for which just tells you their system is inherently flawed, just read their posts in the forums and you'll laugh. Just look at how many users complain about their ratios in their help forums yet the apathetic staff just post useless impractical links to ratio building.

Thus what.cd is not a library and it fails at being one since that's what they purport to be. The whole point of torrenting is not have to separately pay for it like netflix or any other paid subscription but you're doing it on what.cd either via renting a seedbox or filling a request by preordering CDs. If you're paying to torrent then that torrent site has failed and it becomes a paid subscription essentially. I'm actually totally ok if they called themselves a paid service like rapidshare because then the users aren't fooled into thinking that it's free so they can get what they want. I just love how music sites diss pay to leech because NEWSFLASH you are paying to leech either via renting a seedbox or preordering CDs which you maynot even hear to fill requests!

And these seedboxers are mostly kids with spare pocket money to waste let's be honest here. I'd rather spend that money on food, it's not that I'm a brokeass bum, its just that I don't like funding fraudulent orgs like what.cd and other torrent sites that coerce donations/uploads. Heck i'm a pirate, why should I pay a single buck to thieves essentially? I mean who's to say that these frauds wont' leak your payment info to the anti-piracy goons if they take them down which is gonna be what.cd's ultimate fate anyway. Lot of oink and SCT users were worried sick if their payment info like their credit card info was handed to these anti-piracy bullies, heck they still are.
    Last edited by soulreaper; 02-16-2015 at 01:49 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    I was starting to write a large response but decided to delete it and just reiterate that it is their site, their rules, and if you dont like it you are free to start your own site with whatever rules you want.
    LSS #1

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Somebody in this thread is completely right while everybody else are completely wrong.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    Somebody in this thread is completely right while everybody else are completely wrong.
    I hate to inform you but no one is ever completely wrong. Of course I might be totally mistaken about that.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    Does ca_aok sound like cock or is it just me?

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by A View Post
    Does ca_aok sound like cock or is it just me?
    He's usually alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234