Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Was concerned before the show aired. Not many great shows produce worthy spin-offs. I like the angle they are pursuing- stepping back 10+ years, and placing Saul (Jimmy) in very much the newcomer role that Breaking Bad did with Walt and Jesse. Seems there are some familiar faces in the landscape, as well.

The first episode was a bit slow, and they did good to give us the second the following day. Now that we have seen a bit of the drama and temptations, I'd say the show has a couple of good legs to stand on.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    I'm a little nervous to start watching this show due to the fact that i hold Breaking Bad as one of the best shows ever and I'm afraid they are going to try way to hard to tie in parts of that show to boost ratings and in turn taint the original masterpiece.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by awesome1382 View Post
    I'm a little nervous to start watching this show due to the fact that i hold Breaking Bad as one of the best shows ever and I'm afraid they are going to try way to hard to tie in parts of that show to boost ratings and in turn taint the original masterpiece.
    I doubt Vince Gilligan will let that happen. They did not rush this to production, which says a lot.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I really liked it. You can definitely tell it's a Vince Gilligan show. The stylistic choices in the editing definitely has a very Breaking Bad-esque vibe (which is a good thing). It's still different enough to feel like its own show though.

A couple of things I thought were interesting: I liked the callback to Breaking bad in the first scene. "If I'm lucky, a month from now, best-case scenario, I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha." I'm also fairly certain the guy that piped up when Saul was negotiating with Tuco is the same guy that repeats that fatal mistake in Breaking Bad. Maybe Tuco wasn't as crazy as we thought and was just tired of his shit after years of talking out of place. Just kidding, the scene in the desert was amazing and definitely did Tuco justice.

Breaking Bad callbacks aside, it looks promising but I'll really have to see how the main story develops first before passing judgement on the show. Initial impressions are very good though.

But the most important thing. Did Tuco ever get the club soda???

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Did Tuco ever get the club soda???
    Are you making fun of my abuelita?

I wasn't sure Odenkirk had the gravitas to carry the show, think I was mistaken. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Did Tuco ever get the club soda???
    Are you making fun of my abuelita?

I wasn't sure Odenkirk had the gravitas to carry the show, think I was mistaken. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
    Speaking as a gringo, I'm pretty sure that's spelled "apple-ita".

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I have the first two episodes on PVR.I was going to watch it but since Rart liked it I'm thinking smashing my TV into a thousand separate pieces would probably be the way to go.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Speaking as a gringo, I'm pretty sure that's spelled "apple-ita".
    See seen your.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    I love it !
    I was hesitant at first, but gave it a shot, and have been pleasantly surprised .
    Saul has always been on of my fav characters in Breaking Bad, anyways .

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    It's good but a little too measured in it's pacing.Breaking Bad could get away with that as it had more of an overlying arc but with "Saul" it basically comes down to whether the predicament of the week grabs you enough mixed in with a bit nostalgia over the characters.

Can't say I'm digging Michael McKean .Maybe if they used this as the theme song.

Respect my lack of authority.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast