Thread: Best posting app - yes powerpost I know...

Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    It has been over 10 years I think since I actually posted in NNTP via easynews (at that time) and using Powerpost... yEnc was a new thing back then!!!

I am looking for, I guess, best sub-version of powerpost (as seems to of splintered all over). And also how is the policy on Astraweb re-tracing posts if anyone knows?

Or maybe there something even better now???

.... edit must be even older :- PAR was normal back then and PAR2 was the devils work
    Last edited by Gribley; 03-04-2015 at 05:20 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    I use Camelsystem PP 2.4--no complaints. There's obviously no SSL support, but you can setup stunnel as a wrapper in about 5 minutes.

Astra puts an X-TRACE string in their headers, so finding you is trivial.

EDIT: I should clarify, they could retrieve your account information. If you're using a prepaid block with a proxy/vpn/etc it becomes kinda moot.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 03-04-2015 at 10:03 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    A self correcting and 'true' nzb generating program is the only way to go; and that means JBinUp.

By self correcting, I mean the program, after posting x blocks of data, requests either (settable in the settings) the posted server or another server of your choice (that you have an account with) to VERIFY the data. If something got smeared in transmission, it will retransmit/repost the blocks. So in essence, the program assures that the post will be 100% (at that server); you can if you want to, set it up to verify at another server (say, post on Astra, verify at Giga) so you are also assure that, in that case, Astra propagates (and Giga receives) 100%.

Obviously, at that level, the NZB that is generated AT THE END OF THE TRANSMISSION (unlike the powerpost and clones which generate the nzb before any data is transmitted) is 100% reliable as to what was 'perfectly posted'; obviously, you have to manually post that nzb (at your leisure).

If you're going to do this 'for real', it's the only way to go. All other programs 'need not apply' in my estimation.

BTW, SSL is built in.
    Last edited by Beck38; 03-05-2015 at 05:11 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Thanks both for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    I use Camelsystem PP 2.4--no complaints. There's obviously no SSL support, but you can setup stunnel as a wrapper in about 5 minutes.

Astra puts an X-TRACE string in their headers, so finding you is trivial.

EDIT: I should clarify, they could retrieve your account information. If you're using a prepaid block with a proxy/vpn/etc it becomes kinda moot.
    I use Camelsystem PP 2.4 with the SSL add on also. Have been very satisfied with the results. After hundreds of uploads over 8 years I have had just 2 reports of incomplete or problem posts in the forums I use.

I have also used JBinUp a few times as well and liked it, but had problems a few times with the inability to post. Mods and others one of the forums couldn't help fix it - probably just a simple mistake on my part. I'm sure it is among the best, since it is cross platform, is or was updated regularly and has SSL by default as Gribley stated.

I do have a question about Camelsystem PP and the SSL feature. Is there a way to find out if my upload is truly SSL? If I download one of my nzb files (created by a search engine) I see no sign that it is SSL. Any ideas on this?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Stunnel will prevent your ISP from seeing what you uploaded but if you are not using a VPN or something to mask your IP# , they can decode it and get your IP# for as long as the post stays in the Usenet archives.