Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uTorrent has included a cryptocoin-miner in their latest update

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Seemed like this was worth bring up here on the forum:

uTorrent has gone into full damage control, stating that the cryptocoin-miner in their latest update is an optional install. I call bullshit tho. I tried a reinstall earlier and saw nothing which asked me about installing it. In case you're like me and didn't really know what all that meant, it basically means that uTorrent is using your computer and doing calculations behind the scene in order to create additional profits for the owners of uTorrent.

They have also shut down their forums it appears, surely due to an abundance of discussion they didn't like.

uTorrent has irked me for a while now with their forced ads and malware so I'm finally going to jump ship and try something else.

I suggest looking in your Add/Remove Programs list for EpicScale (aka: "Programs and Features" in Windows 8) if you've recently updated uTorrent. While you're there, I recommend uninstalling uTorrent as well.

Here is the discussion they removed from their forum:

cfhnoc.png

http://a.pomf.se/cfhnoc.png
    Last edited by Skiz; 03-07-2015 at 03:09 AM.

yo

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

uTorrent has irked me for a while now with their forced ads and malware so I'm finally going to jump ship and try something else.
    You and hopefully everyone else that hears about this.

I would add "unbelievable" but since it involves business and/or the internet I'm left with "hardly surprising".

Geez,remember when the internet theoretically stood for some lofty hope of altruism and not just a bunch of people creating useless junk with ghey names in quest of becoming extremely wealthy with a minimum of actual effort.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I have refused to update utorrent since 2.2.1 This is back before they got bought by corporate profiteering pricks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/software/com...rsion_without/
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I've just grabbed qBittorrent and it seems minimal enough. I can't get it to recheck any of my old torrents but whatev.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I have refused to update utorrent since 2.2.1 This is back before they got bought by corporate profiteering pricks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/software/com...rsion_without/
    I didn't even know old clients were still white-listed but it looks like "what" allows versions even older than 2.2.1. Pretty cool. I would have rolled back to that a long time ago had I known that.
    Last edited by Skiz; 03-07-2015 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Here are all the versions of utorrent if anyone is interested in the other versions. I just take the latest version of 2.2.1 (25302) whenever I do a fresh install, but some people swear by 1.6 or some of the other versions. There are very few reasons to upgrade. After it's installed, untick the automatic updates button and never worry about it again.

Also that website for EpicScale is slimy as fuck. They make it seem like a program that's solving world hunger and curing cancer but in reality it's just sapping your computer's resources and spiking your power bill in order to make money for them through cryptocurrency mining. If the program really was as altruistic as they say it is why do they have to pay Bittorrent (owners of utorrent) money in order to have them (silently) load it on your computer? In addition you'll notice that they only mention that "profits" are donated to charity (assuming you want to believe that in the first place since there doesn't seem to be any accountability/transparency on their website), which means that they can decide whatever they damn well please as proper compensation for "programming" this malware and donate whatever pitiful amount is left to charity and call it "100% profits" donated . Oh and they noted in their new, updated statement that in the future they plan on donating even less of their "profits" to charity . What a great company.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    I didn't even know old clients were still white-listed but it looks like "what" allows versions even older than 2.2.1. Pretty cool.
    I do not remember a single site that has rejected this particular version of utorrent.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I didn't even know old clients were still white-listed but it looks like "what" allows versions even older than 2.2.1. Pretty cool.
    I do not remember a single site that has rejected this particular version of utorrent.
    Do you have the original file? It looks like it's hosted at numerous sites if I Google it, but none that I would fully trust. I wouldn't want to unknowingly grab a cheater version of it or something and get banned.

yo

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    All the versions are here. I haven't had issues with any of them.

http://www.oldapps.com/utorrent.php

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    I use 2.2.1 Build 25302 grabbed it off filehippo when they were still hosted there.

MD5 BB2FCFA2415D0F08653157D8E998D342
    SHA1 76CB0DEF3EE130F4BDDB6893ACBCD6A7284F336B

Jives with Rart's link.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 03-08-2015 at 02:58 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I looked, but was unable to find the file on my computer, Skiz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast