Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wondering

shaina's Avatar Poster
    To Beck 38

Yes I also remember the nfo file in the headers, to tell you what the coded files were. But now I rely on posters who make my life easier with a link (nzb), for me to download what I want, without looking all over the place which is great.
    Now you mentioned with Sanbnzb you have 1 primary and 1 backup. That is where I am screwing up, I have all of mine set a primary, could that be the problem ??
    And as for sickbeard and all of those programs to be honest I am not ready for that yet my internet speed is over 300Mbps I queue all the movies a tv shows and less than a hour it is ready to be extracted (yes I still do all of that manually) and played throughout the house
    Thank you very much for your help

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    You shouldn't set them all as primary, try to make your fastest server primary with the rest as backup.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vigor5000 View Post
    You shouldn't set them all as primary, try to make your fastest server primary with the rest as backup.
    Thank you...
    I use Giganews always , and flip between Eweka and Xs usenet, If Giganews doesn't find what I am trying to download. SO I am assuming to use Giganew as primary and which ever one I am using for the month set as backup correct??
    And all these years I have never thought the settings were there, I hope it works , it will be another step solved.

Thank you for your help

What would be strange about that setup is when I try to download older posts with Giganews, and it doesn't find them, but Ewaka did. So if I do set Giganews as primary , does it stil try to download the whole queued download before it switches to backup server ??
    If that is the case I am usually near the pc and I could switch it manually quicker than it running through the whole queued download (example Get Smart Box Set aprox 30 gigs).
    Last edited by shaina; 03-24-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Yes that's how you would set it up. If Giganews doesn't have the articles then it will try Ewaka and Xsusenet(not sure the order it does it because you cant set the priority, it might be the order in the server list) right away.
    The only time the other downloads in the queue get started is if like you said Giganews doesn't have any articles and it is set up as your primary it will move on to whatever is next in the queue, if it has the articles or move on in the queue until there is an it can download something.
    Last edited by vigor5000; 03-24-2015 at 04:13 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Yes that's how you would set it up. If Giganews doesn't have the articles then it will try Ewaka and Xsusenet(not sure the order it does it because you cant set the priority, it might be the order in the server list)
    right away. The only time the other downloads in the queue get started is if like you said Giganews doesn't have any articles and it is set up as your primary it will move on to whatever is next in the queue, if it has the articles or move on in the queue until there is an it can download something.
    Great will give it a test to see if it works. My ISP has no limit on downloads so I can fiddle with it to see which way will download faster.

Thank you again for some great help

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by stryk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzer12 View Post
    thx a lot guys, manual is pretty much how I do it and I agree checking once or twice a day is best but lately I have so much on by the time I get to check anything I find I want has already gone.
    I used to use giganews but cant justify the cost for the amount of stuff I do grab and now find myself searching torrent sites to find what disappeared from usenet, so I was wondering if an invite to ahalf decent site would be useful although I have no idea how to go about it.

how would I go about auto downloading stuff on astraweb via sabnzb all seemed so much eaier when I was younger.
    Once you get sabnzbd set up (it's a free, open-source program), download a program called "sickbeard" and configure it to work with your sabnzbd setup and your usenet server. Then just tell it which shows you're interested in auto-grabbing and it pretty much does the rest for you.

SABnzbd: http://sabnzbd.org/
    sickbeard: http://sickbeard.com/

There are install & setup tutorials on both their sites that are pretty straight forward and easy to follow.

Never used these before, but how well do they work for shows that are named completely different from their release? A lot of releases now have their names obstructed and possibly show up as "[240538]-[02/22] - "240538.r00" yEnc (1/20)" instead of the actual release which would be for a recent supernatural episode. Does it work in finding releases like this or do they have to actually be titled "Supernatural"?

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Yes that's how you would set it up. If Giganews doesn't have the articles then it will try Ewaka and Xsusenet(not sure the order it does it because you cant set the priority, it might be the order in the server list) right away.
    The only time the other downloads in the queue get started is if like you said Giganews doesn't have any articles and it is set up as your primary it will move on to whatever is next in the queue, if it has the articles or move on in the queue until there is an it can download something.
    This setup didn't work with altbinz ,giganews just downloaded air and removed all the queued files. I switched the Usenet provider manually. re queued the nzb and the files downloaded , they were not complete, but the par files fixed and completed the download.

If Giganews doesn't have the articles then it will try Ewaka and Xsusenet .
    Hi vigor5000
    I have a question ???
    I know when a Usenet provider (Giganews) has multiple server connection areas in the world to connect (USA, Europe ,Asia) and they are used to help quality of speed connection. But is there a difference in retention that can be accessed on what connection you are using???
    Last edited by shaina; 03-27-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    This setup didn't work with altbinz ,giganews just downloaded air and removed all the queued files. I switched the Usenet provider manually. re queued the nzb and the files downloaded , they were not complete, but the par files fixed and completed the download.

If Giganews doesn't have the articles then it will try Ewaka and Xsusenet .
    Hi vigor5000
    I have a question ???
    I know when a Usenet provider (Giganews) has multiple server connection areas in the world to connect (USA, Europe ,Asia) and they are used to help quality of speed connection. But is there a difference in retention that can be accessed on what connection you are using???
    You should be doing this in SABnzbd.
    With Giganews no there shouldn't be a difference but with providers like Astraweb which have a US and EU server there can be a difference in the available posts.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    I've always told everyone, that if a plant has a US/EU server, to put the closest as your 'primary' and the opposite as the first 'fills', then any additional fills/block account as the next in line. That way, your 'unlimited' account gets used first (either US or EU) and then any additional account get used 'last'.

Of course, if as a EU user you feel that the EU (usually Amsterdam) server is a bit wacky, and you're willing to take the speed slowdown going across the pond and across the North American continent to San Jose (we're talking Astraweb here, but could be Giganews for that matter as they're in LA so not much difference if you're sitting in Berlin or London).

Although SABnzbD doesn't actually have the secondary servers specifically 'numbered' (unless the newer versions have corrected that), how you put them in counts as long as they are toggled as secondary (first one, then second, then... etc.).

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    You should be doing this in SABnzbd.
    With Giganews no there shouldn't be a difference but with providers like Astraweb which have a US and EU server there can be a difference in the available posts.
    I know you discussed doing the "backup" provider with SABnzb , I just thought I could get lucky and it would work with Altbinz. Oh well I am going to stick with Altbinz , and if I have to switch manually so be it.
    It really amazes me that Giganews does advertise the longest retention, yet you still get a lot of files missing. And it is not like they are removed from the specific group server , because Eweka picks up the files or even XS Usenet as well (sometimes a repair is needed).
    My only assumption would be the take down notices for certain providers is affecting it

Thanks again for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    I've always told everyone, that if a plant has a US/EU server, to put the closest as your 'primary' and the opposite as the first 'fills', then any additional fills/block account as the next in line. That way, your 'unlimited' account gets used first (either US or EU) and then any additional account get used 'last'.

Of course, if as a EU user you feel that the EU (usually Amsterdam) server is a bit wacky, and you're willing to take the speed slowdown going across the pond and across the North American continent to San Jose (we're talking Astraweb here, but could be Giganews for that matter as they're in LA so not much difference if you're sitting in Berlin or London).

Although SABnzbD doesn't actually have the secondary servers specifically 'numbered' (unless the newer versions have corrected that), how you put them in counts as long as they are toggled as secondary (first one, then second, then... etc.).
    Sorry I don't want to harp on this , but you say it switches automatically , but when the cue is applied and it goes down the files to download, if there is no files once it goes through them. Are you saying it recues the files automatically for the backup provider to attempt the same files??And is there settings in Altbinz for that.

Thanks
    Last edited by shaina; 03-28-2015 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast