Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wondering

Never have used Altbinz, old NewsRover here, works about the same as SabnzbD. When it hits any missing parts from the primary, it starts munching on the secondaries; if your watching the downloading 'page' you can see it all working.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Never have used Altbinz, old NewsRover here, works about the same as SabnzbD. When it hits any missing parts from the primary, it starts munching on the secondaries; if your watching the downloading 'page' you can see it all working.
    Holy Shit! Now there is one I completely forgot about, I am going to check NewRover out again, and maybe do the switch to that.

I was researching NewsRover on a bunch of different sites. They all give it good reviews, but none of them tell you if it is a one time fee or monthly? could you give some help on how it works with the fees and updates ????. It looks like I could just transition to NewsRover with ease.

Thanks
    Last edited by shaina; 03-28-2015 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    NewsRover = $30; unlimited servers, you can specify (and change at will) how you want it numbered (primary through multilpe secondaries). SSL built in, along with tons of stuff I never use. It's not my primary downloader Sabnzbd is) but I still use it a couple time a week.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    NewsRover = $30; unlimited servers, you can specify (and change at will) how you want it numbered (primary through multilpe secondaries). SSL built in, along with tons of stuff I never use. It's not my primary downloader Sabnzbd is) but I still use it a couple time a week.
    And is it a one time fee and free lifetime upgrades of the program ?
    Reason I ask because AltBinz does offer that I just keep using the free one with no updates
    Last edited by shaina; 03-28-2015 at 09:43 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Go to the website, all info there.
    http://www.newsrover.com

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Go to the website, all info there.
    http://www.newsrover.com
    Sorry I cant see anywhere on the site for lifetime or free upgrades

Registration is only $29.95 (USD) nothing added
    I was just wondering because you have purchased it if you are getting free updates and not charged for upgrading

thanks

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    I thought it was pretty self explanatory:
    http://www.newsrover.com/upgrade.htm

It uses Giganews search engine and that part is the 'subscription'; I've had it for over 10 years and let the search function expire LONG ago. I think they did require 1 one paid s/w upgrade many years ago, which I did not buy. The program is so stable ( I run on a w2k machine as an example) that unless you want to extend the gn/search functionality, which you get a free year to begin with, pay the 30 and that's it.

14+ years and works fine for me, but I wouldn't use anything other than SabnzbD for heavy D/L'ing.

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    I thought it was pretty self explanatory:
    http://www.newsrover.com/upgrade.htm

It uses Giganews search engine and that part is the 'subscription'; I've had it for over 10 years and let the search function expire LONG ago. I think they did require 1 one paid s/w upgrade many years ago, which I did not buy. The program is so stable ( I run on a w2k machine as an example) that unless you want to extend the gn/search functionality, which you get a free year to begin with, pay the 30 and that's it.

14+ years and works fine for me, but I wouldn't use anything other than SabnzbD for heavy D/L'ing.
    That's what I was looking for.. If you don't want to install future updates , I didn't know if NewsRover locks up until you take the update , and there were forced future charges that were unnecessary.

Seeing it is more web based rather than a downloaded program to your pc , Does Sabnzb when it is running slow up multitasking or surfing on the web??(not referring to extracting and checking if the files are completed I would disable automatic function and do it manually)

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    Like everything, it all depends. Of course, being that anything bought or constructed in the last 10 years is at least a dual-cpu, and quad-cpu machines (or more) are only a bit more, unless you've got a really old machine on a REALLY old motherboard, probably not.

My oldest machine (w2K), 15 years old, has a dual-core, and runs SABnzbD just fine, but when I put the hammer down on some downloads I usually use a 4core machine (Vista/4G/3Ghz), which these days would still be considered 'low rent'.

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Like everything, it all depends. Of course, being that anything bought or constructed in the last 10 years is at least a dual-cpu, and quad-cpu machines (or more) are only a bit more, unless you've got a really old machine on a REALLY old motherboard, probably not.

My oldest machine (w2K), 15 years old, has a dual-core, and runs SABnzbD just fine, but when I put the hammer down on some downloads I usually use a 4core machine (Vista/4G/3Ghz), which these days would still be considered 'low rent'.
    Sounds good... Thanks for the info. I do most of my downloads on a dual-core pc , and a gigabyte Ethernet card , 8gigs of ram (running windows 7 pro, if I were you I would get rid of Vista that will speed it up for sure). I have a few quad core laptops in the house. If I use them , it will be a pain in the ass to keep transferring the downloads to my dual-core , where I store everything for to run the network in the house.
    Maybe I will try SABnzb out again and see how it goes. I may look at NewsRover as well , hopefully one will improve removing a few manual steps.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast