Thread: first time bluetooth owner

Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    I never owned a bluetooth device before. I recently bought a new laptop that supports bluetooth, and some wireless headphones. I have windows 8.1 and the headphones are Kinivo BTH240. I've spent all afternoon trying to figure out why my laptop wont find my headphones. Iv searched for drivers, Iv tried several different things in the settings. I'm stumped. Any advice? Thanks
    Last edited by Bowen747x; 03-31-2015 at 12:19 AM.
    tYiA

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    does anybody know where i can look to find info that could help me? Iv been all over google and youtube but idk why nothing shows up on my bluetooth device finder... i just dont know where to look for help

i cant find drivers because the headphones say they dont need drivers, according to the manual it says the drivers will be downloaded automatically when you pair your device, but I think its a problem with my laptop
    Last edited by Bowen747x; 03-31-2015 at 12:22 AM.
    tYiA

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I don't know what laptop you have but is bluetooth enabled? Should some sort of icon in the Quick Launch area indicating so with settings as well I would think.

Try downloading and installing the driver automatically. Did you go here - http://support.kinivo.com/customer/p...4950-downloads

Drivers - http://support.kinivo.com/customer/p...0-bth360-s-etc
    Connecting - http://support.kinivo.com/customer/p...0-in-windows-8
    Did you RTFM? - http://downloads.kinivo.com/product/...r%20Manual.pdf

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thank you, yes I have been through all of that. Idk what else to do, I guess I'll try emailing Kinivo. My laptop is an MSI CX61 its bran new I just got it the other day, and yes the bluetooth settings are "ON" but when I click add device it just sits there for ever looking for something to connect but it never does. I also noticed that there is a blue light on the laptop with the rest of the indicators (for battery, HDD, caps lock etc) but the bluetooth indicator light is never on. I even tried updating the bluetooth drivers but it says they are all up to date.
    tYiA

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Where do you see the bluetooth settings as "On"?

Have you looked at BIOS settings?

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BIOS? no just the blue icon in the Quick Launch area, and the Device Manager
    Last edited by Bowen747x; 03-31-2015 at 01:48 AM.
    tYiA

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowen747x View Post
    Thank you, yes I have been through all of that. Idk what else to do, I guess I'll try emailing Kinivo. My laptop is an MSI CX61 its bran new I just got it the other day, and yes the bluetooth settings are "ON" but when I click add device it just sits there for ever looking for something to connect but it never does. I also noticed that there is a blue light on the laptop with the rest of the indicators (for battery, HDD, caps lock etc) but the bluetooth indicator light is never on. I even tried updating the bluetooth drivers but it says they are all up to date.
    Is there a bluetooth on/off switch on the keyboard? Make sure it's turned on. Check for one on the headphones too. Do the same there.

Also, some model bluetooth keyboards have a button on the back that put them in some sort of connect mode, may be the same for your headphones. If there is one, push it. There should probably be an indicator light blinking on the keyboard and/or the headphones, after. While it's still blinking, try searching for devices on the laptop.

That may help.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-01-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: forgot a bunch of words.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    In addition to everything else already said:

I had the same problem with my new laptop a couple of weeks back. The solution was installing the Realtek Bluetooth drivers and software from a Lenovo laptop that uses the same chip; merely installing the drivers didn't work either.

I have no idea what the hell their package does, and haven't bothered to find out using Process Monitor yet, but it remains in place even after unregistering all their DLLs, disabling their services and deleting the DisableFsquirt and Radio Support registry keys - which I was happy to find out, as it meant getting rid of bloat.

Apparently, the MSI CX61 uses a Realtek chip too, so this may be worth a try for you.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."