Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frugal vs Astraweb

My tweak news account is expiring soon and my bucket account already has. Combined I had 20 mbit unlimited for about $6/mo after some discounts. Bucket didnt offer me a discount this time and from what I've read, Tweak may have also stopped. Probably $7-8/mo combined without discount.

So I'm probably switching to a different provider. Tweak has actually been quite good even after Highwinds bought them. Its rare that anything is taken down within a few days of being posted. Frugal is another HW reseller so would they be the same as Tweak as far as takedowns or is Tweak still operating separate from HW?

Also thinking about Astraweb. They are 50% more expensive than Frugal but are they better? I always read the complaints about Astra here...

Who would you choose?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster
    I moved to Tweaknews from Astraweb because of too many incomplete downloads on Astraweb, but when my Tweaknews account ended I moved back to Astraweb because most of the recent reviews for it weren't too bad. So far I haven't had any incomplete downloads with Astraweb, but this time I have set up the EU server as my main server and the US one as a backup. If I do begin to get too many incomplete downloads then I'll look into getting another backup server. I haven't tried Frugal, but I will probably go for Cheapnews or an XS News reseller. Speed wise, Astra always maxes out my connection and has been faster than Tweaknews was.

(P.S. I only get block accounts, so my choices are limited to providers that offer them.)

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster
    Frugal is great if you are automated or just generally grab stuff as its posted or shortly after. If you are worried just add an astraweb block account to your set up and have the best of both worlds.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    DngrMs's Avatar Super Rodent
    Unless you need 300+ days retention (and who does?) the answer is always the same:

1. Get an unlimited account with a(ny) main provider
    2. Get a block account with a(ny) different and detached provider
    3. Set your newsreader up accordingly (primary/secondary)

The chances of the provider you selected during step #1 and step #2 missing the same blocks for content they've taken down is about 0.000000000000000001% and in those instances the chances of your pars being insufficient are even slimmer.

Q: "OMG two accounts?"
    A: Yes, that's how you use Usenet these days

My block account is 500GB, it cost me EUR9.99, I've had it for two years, I use about 1Gb per month as my secondary server (primary is ~100GB/m) so you do the maths. I never have incomplete NZB's that are <300 days.
    Just like the NSA, I'm compelled to copy everything I want to.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DngrMs View Post
    Unless you need 300+ days retention (and who does?) the answer is always the same:
    I do... and have used over 900+ days back on many occasions

There is some older movies and shows that are not reposted (or re uploaded in binary groups) , and I have taken advantage of the Usenet providers I do use and offer that service.

Again maybe there is no advantage to you...But that may not be the majority of people that do have it ,and do take advantage of it on occasion.
    Last edited by shaina; 04-24-2015 at 06:17 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Well I learned something today, Tweak is not at all like the rest of Highwinds, at least not yet. Yesterday all my Sonarr download's were running flawlessly on Tweak. Today my sub ran out and I just signed up for Frugal. Half of what I'm trying to grab is gone already. At least I only wasted $5 but still, this is awful.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cardboardbox View Post
    Well I learned something today, Tweak is not at all like the rest of Highwinds, at least not yet. Yesterday all my Sonarr download's were running flawlessly on Tweak. Today my sub ran out and I just signed up for Frugal. Half of what I'm trying to grab is gone already. At least I only wasted $5 but still, this is awful.
    Is it gone on tweak too? When were the posts done? From what I can tell even if you download once a day things should work but you say you have sonar so that should download automatically anyways right?

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by hdjunky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cardboardbox View Post
    Is it gone on tweak too? When were the posts done? From what I can tell even if you download once a day things should work but you say you have sonar so that should download automatically anyways right?
    I cant be sure they are still on Tweak but I did retry some downloads from Thursday that were complete on Tweak that are gone from Frugal. I have a complicated setup, basically my downloads sit in the queue until overnight so there could be an 18 hour delay between the time its posted and the time I try to download. This time it was much longer due to the Tweak sub expiring.

Frugal is very fast so thats a plus... I was just pointing out that I dont think Tweak is like the other Highwinds resellers yet.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster
    Bummer about your internet connection. I think that setup should work though from my own observations. Just don't go on any sort of vacation. Lol

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    [QUOTE=cardboardbox;3764683]
    Quote Originally Posted by hdjunky View Post

Frugal is very fast so thats a plus... I was just pointing out that I dont think Tweak is like the other Highwinds resellers yet.
    That's what I recently experienced too. Tried to look for another provider and ended up re-signing with Tweak even without the discount. Experimented with the same post in bucket, tweak and cheap, and I could only get it complete from Tweak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast