Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BTN getting DMCA notices too???

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Its not QbitTorrent.Your IP appeared in the kickass swarm because the asshat uploader on kickass left his IPT pass key in it. It worked till IPT killed the passkey.
    isn't there a setting I could have turned on/off that would have prevented that?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Its not QbitTorrent.Your IP appeared in the kickass swarm because the asshat uploader on kickass left his IPT pass key in it. It worked till IPT killed the passkey.
    isn't there a setting I could have turned on/off that would have prevented that?

Sorry but no. It is not an individual thing. The whole 3-6000 IPT swarm was exposed till IPT staff killed the passkey.

The BTN thing is different. Changing your client port number kills the connection.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13

Sorry but no. It is not an individual thing. The whole 3-6000 IPT swarm was exposed till IPT staff killed the passkey.

The BTN thing is different. Changing your client port number kills the connection.
    That's interesting. Surprised it isn't a bigger issue then. Maybe one of the masterminds of the community (paging anon, anon to the white courtesy phone, please ) can come up with a patch.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    img.png

Original information which was deleted by BTN staff and Reddit troll Mods. Full story and real story.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Maybe one of the masterminds of the community (paging anon, anon to the white courtesy phone, please ) can come up with a patch.
    This isn't really something you can "patch". Some sort of protocol extension to authenticate peers as coming from a reliable source would be required. While drafts for such a thing exist[1], it is not an standard yet, and would require support from the tracker script's side too.

I can think of two workarounds:
    • enabling the "randomize port on startup" option or similar in your client
    • deliberately firewalling yourself to become off-limits to "foreign" peers, while you can still transfer to and from those received from the private tracker. It has the disadvantages we all know, of course (if everyone does it, you won't be able to download at all).

Other than that, you can't really do anything, because BitTorrent wasn't designed with private trackers in mind in the first place[2]. If I have your IP and port and know you're serving a torrent with a specific info_hash I already possess the metadata for, I can connect to you. You could notice my attempts and block my address, sure, but that's not a viable solution when you're potentially exposed to thousands of ghost leechers, as is the case here.

And for the record, this isn't a new tactic[3].
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Poster
    merwais dont be a pussy and use your own account you already have here not some 1-day alt

giphy.gif
    Last edited by 2501; 04-26-2015 at 08:34 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    @2501
    the account was registered yesterday itself IPT

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    That was a good read, anon. Since I've only encountered it once, it does not seem to be too much of a problem.

----------------

Guys, Malways is above that...Wait. No he isn't. What was I thinking?!

Hi, Malways.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 04-26-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    BTN has confirmed they were having their peers stolen and injected into public swarm.

and now it appears to be PassThePopcorn's turn

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    BTN has confirmed they were having their peers stolen and injected into public swarm.

and now it appears to be PassThePopcorn's turn

Anyone from PTP here? I've been a member for years. I can't get in.

"You have failed the snatchlist challenge too many times."

My emails offered to send a password reset are refused.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast