Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should online piracy be legalized?

renhoek93's Avatar Poster
    Do you guys think the file sharing of music movies games & more should be legal? leave you're thoughts below.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm thinking about posting a question on whether or not you like hockey on the NHL website.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    renhoek93's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by idoleyes787 View Post
    i'm thinking about posting a question on whether or not you like hockey on the nhl website.
    lol.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as piracy, is in fact, unauthorized copying, or as I've recently taken to calling it, unauthorized sharing. Piracy is not the act of obtaining an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted work, but rather robbery or criminal violence at sea.
    Many computer users make unauthorized copies every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the act which is widely performed today is often called piracy, and many of the people who do it are not aware that it is basically copying, and not stealing.
    There really is a piracy, and some people are doing it, but it is just robbery at sea. Piracy is an act of theft: an action at sea in which goods are forcefully transferred from one ship to another. Piracy is important to be aware of, but unrelated to unauthorized copying; it can only function at sea. Piracy is normally not used in combination with unauthorized copying: the two acts are basically separate. All the so-called piracy is really unauthorized copying.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by J00t View Post
    I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as piracy, is in fact, unauthorized copying, or as I've recently taken to calling it, unauthorized sharing. Piracy is not the act of obtaining an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted work, but rather robbery or criminal violence at sea.
    Many computer users make unauthorized copies every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the act which is widely performed today is often called piracy, and many of the people who do it are not aware that it is basically copying, and not stealing.
    There really is a piracy, and some people are doing it, but it is just robbery at sea. Piracy is an act of theft: an action at sea in which goods are forcefully transferred from one ship to another. Piracy is important to be aware of, but unrelated to unauthorized copying; it can only function at sea. Piracy is normally not used in combination with unauthorized copying: the two acts are basically separate. All the so-called piracy is really unauthorized copying.
    When you say "you" don't you really mean some other guy you and several others have copied and pasted it off of.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=I%27d...m=122&ie=UTF-8

I believe in some circles they call that theft.

I merely took someone's car for a drive without authorization ,officer.Don't call it theft.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 06-19-2015 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J00t View Post
    When you say "you" don't you really mean some other guy you and several others have copied and pasted it off of.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=I%27d...m=122&ie=UTF-8

I believe in some circles they call that theft.

I merely took someone's car for a drive without authorization ,officer.Don't call it theft.

He's just not into content creation, jeesh.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Yes, definitely. As well as heroin.

In fact I wish the US was like Mexico, a pharmacy on every corner where you just walk into, point at whatever the hell you want, and the person behind the counter gives you as much of those pretty little pills as you please.

Wait, I forgot the original question. Pharmacies that are like grocery stores in the US is consuming my thoughts now...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    dion09529's Avatar Helter Skelter BT Rep: +1
    Downloading or uploading copyrighted material for which you don't have permission to download or market is illegal and punishable by a fine or imprisonment everywhere.
    The difference is that Germany and France are more "creative" and educate the people better and there are several companies that monitor public trackers such as piratebay and if they find your IP they send letters to your ISP.

Nevertheless, it's legal to download torrents as long what you're downloading is legal, ie shareware or open source.
    Old shit was here. Now it's gone.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    It gets VERY gray-- more so than the Industries would like you to think about (and merely keep paying), when you start to consider portability and time-shifting. If I am a subscriber to HBO should I be able to download HBO content over torrents? What if the content is available earlier than my local area has it offered on that channel?

Are my actions wrong if I similarly download content I have already purchased on DVD, but now is available in higher definition? What if I own a HD version, but want to watch a low-res version on my phone/tablet? How about content that I have legal access to through Amazon or Netflix- can I download any of those shows via torrents? How about a situation where Netflix offered the show last month, but I missed it and now want to watch it?

Same goes for music subscription services. Most everything is available on Spotify. If I give them $10 a month am I OK to download whatever the fuck I want musicwise from torrent sites?

Books? How about I own a paper copy, but would prefer to read on my tablet? Shouldn't I be able to lend a digital copy to a friend if I own a hardcopy?

I realize not all of these situations are always valid, but I am making the case that Content Control and Copyright are a ridiculous mess that consumers should not have to even ponder. If we are not profiting from our sharing, I say FUCK the Industries. If they want our money, they need to make systems that are more open to real-world use that does not punish their customer base. Netflix offers a vast library of shows for $8 per month. I'd pay the Industries $25 per month to just let me watch their shit without being freaks about it. Take that number and multiply it times the 100 Million households in the US alone, and there is more than enough money to 'support the artists'.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-21-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Cleanup.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Hollywood and other movie industries will get angry to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast