Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Applying to an unpaid internship position today

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    I have 250Mbps
    I have never lived anywhere that offers even 25% of that speed.

The US can be considered third world when it comes to Internet service. Laws have existed that prevent public competition with private telecom companies. The private companies pretend to race, but they all stick to investing the smallest amount possible for current conditions and over exaggerate their cost for bandwidth. Basically, we are paying a markup of ongoing costs of at least 10x, and in the worst cases, 50x.

There are problems out here with those two dish services (contracts, technicians, customer service). Even ignoring all of that, their services top out at around 12 or 20.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #82
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    I have 250Mbps
    I have never lived anywhere that offers even 25% of that speed.
    The US can be considered third world when it comes to Internet service. Laws have existed that prevent public competition with private telecom companies. The private companies pretend to race, but they all stick to investing the smallest amount possible for current conditions and over exaggerate their cost for bandwidth. Basically, we are paying a markup of ongoing costs of at least 10x, and in the worst cases, 50x.
    There are problems out here with those two dish services (contracts, technicians, customer service). Even ignoring all of that, their services top out at around 12 or 20.
    Strange you say that Macky....
    Comcast in Florida(have a place there) offers packages from 3Mbps to 105Mbps, the last couple of years I get 75Mbps package (cable is part of condo fees), and 75Mbps with no kids it is great and plenty fast. I guess I really didn't pay attention to the differences in speeds in the US to be honest, before when my kids did come down with me we didn't have internet(didn't want them sitting in front of there computers all day!!, but there is a computer room you can use).

And Canada doesn't let dish network or direct tv in either, but if you have a US address or have a place there, you can just bring a receiver back and off you go(but when they were hacked it was much better).

To me that is very strange that the US has that much difference considering they have 10X the population we do., and we are actually using US Modems/Routers, saying that there is no excuse why the speeds are not available there.

Edit: Sorry Macky ..Just went on Comcast site, and they offer 150Mbps and 2000Mbps as well (only residential and fiber cable).
    Last edited by shaina; 08-06-2015 at 05:00 AM.

3. Lounge   -   #83
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Not sure what I am paying for, but my Concast connection gives me between 12-14 MBps on good torrents. Not complaining, but hate the company anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Lounge   -   #84
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Not sure what I am paying for, but my Concast connection gives me between 12-14 MBps on good torrents. Not complaining, but hate the company anyway.
    S0 you are saying around 100Mbps..
    That is great speeds for one or two constant users, but with kids streaming shit and playing online games constantly, it does get used up in a hurry!!
    Did you ever do a internet speed test to see what it reads in terms of speeds(speed test.net)??

And I can't stand the company I use for cable and ISP(greedy bastards and cable or satellite are the only choices for high speed really), but the service is pretty reliable and I can't complain about the speeds I get..

Plus they meter/control everything now from there head office, with no way of getting around it when it comes to cable channels or internet speeds, as like before you could take off the filters that restricted you.
    Last edited by shaina; 08-07-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789