Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you decide you'd gotten enough from torrenting?

Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    I'm just curious. I know I've found myself using torrents less and less over the last couple years, probably mostly due to already having archived virtually everything I have ever had an interest in. Here I am 30TB later and find myself downloading maybe one torrent a week. Is there a shelf life for the excitement of climbing ranks and getting into all the "cool" sites, and hoarding data? I have joined maybe two sites in the last four years as the ones I have already suit my needs. My biggest problem now is finding what I want in the mess that is all my hdd's.

What do you think? Is it the politics that drive you away? Or the existence of streaming services? Or maybe you just don't care to spend time on frivolous hobbies?
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Streaming services like Netflix and (to a lesser extent) Amazon Prime ROCK. Add to that a fully-loaded XBMC (Kodi), and there isn't much else one 'needs'. However, torrenting is nice when you want to keep something around, want it portable, or want to know exactly which copy you are watching (some edited shows get in the mix).

That said, there is still a very real need for people to seed torrents. Streaming services change programming. Some great shows are unfortunately not as popular as they should be, and dry up without those archivers available to put files back in the community pot.

Levels and exclusivity lose their value when one sees a couple of these sites and realizes it is populated with the same set of paste-eaters who bore the piss out of you everywhere else. Like this one (FST), the site is only as good as members make it by contributing.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    I am all about archiving, that's why I never delete anything. I have always treated torrents like a library, and love to share. I still seed my thousands of torrents, and probably always will, I just find it hard to find stuff I like(that I haven't already downloaded years ago). Part of it is the fact that most of the stuff from the last couple years has been terribly uninteresting to me. Real life has been keeping me busy enough to make it hard to invest thought into "what I want".

Re: Contributing, I decided that you're right. It's a shame to let all those acquaintances fall to the wayside, just because you're a little bored. I'm not gonna be an Idol or MBM, but I will be making an effort here, as it's a shame to see a good platform waste away. I promise to post at least one thread a week, but I make no promises about the quality of those threads as I am a pretty boring individual these days
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Intr4ns1t View Post
    I am all about archiving....
    I don't believe in saving anything, even music as experience has shown me that we only truly appreciate the things that are transitory.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Intr4ns1t View Post
    Re: Contributing, I decided that you're right. It's a shame to let all those acquaintances fall to the wayside, just because you're a little bored. I'm not gonna be an Idol or MBM, but I will be making an effort here, as it's a shame to see a good platform waste away. I promise to post at least one thread a week, but I make no promises about the quality of those threads as I am a pretty boring individual these days
    We have no standards of quality around here, but I warmly accept your admission that I'm correct.

Great to see you coming back! Art even stopped in a couple days ago, too.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    Life happened and apparently life doesn't have time for bullshit. I only use a handful of sites that don't ban members for inactivity and other such crap.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I think it has to do with age and growing up. I only say this from my own experience.

My main download method = Usenet/IRC, then later found torrents and as I got older, and more things were available to download till kingdom come, I just didnt see the point anymore. As far as torrents go, if you name any of the so called "cool trackers" that is still probably active today and at least 7 yrs old or even the elite ones, I was probably a member at one point in time. Obviously not anymore due to activity.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    respawn40's Avatar Phoenix Wright :D BT Rep: +2
    When I was no longer 13 years old and started spending more time away from my computer. I still torrent a lot, but I'm no longer interested nor involved in much outside of getting my files. My world has greatly expanded since I've grown up, and I just don't have the time for participating like I used to.

I am a exsellent speller and I use grammer very good.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by respawn40 View Post
    When I was no longer 13 years old and started spending more time away from my computer. I still torrent a lot, but I'm no longer interested nor involved in much outside of getting my files. My world has greatly expanded since I've grown up, and I just don't have the time for participating like I used to.
    got what I wanted; so long suckers

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    respawn40's Avatar Phoenix Wright :D BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by respawn40 View Post
    got what I wanted; so long suckers
    I guess you're right. My life has changed a lot in the seven years since I discovered torrenting. At the time I really enjoyed interacting with others online, but nowadays as a young twenty-something I get my social fix in real life and so anything outside of downloading files just doesn't do much for me.

I am a exsellent speller and I use grammer very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast