Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Format

Cool

Good day to all. I am new to this forum and need some help from you guys. About two months ago I started downloading TV torrent seasons. It was not long before I relized that all downloads are not the same foremat/codex. My computer is a two year old HP Pavilin Desktop and my operateing system is Ubuntu 14.04. I currently have seven vedio players installed and still I have torrent downloads I can not play. I have downloaded a shit load of codex packet also. I often get a pop-up window saying "can not play this strem" or something close to that. I have spent days searching the internet looking for the sulution to this problem. All I find is people saying I need to change the download format. That my be true, but the software that is recomended to do the task requires a PHD in computer science to operate it. I have always been a beleiver in the saying "KISS" [keep it simple stupid] I am looking for a progrm that I can drop my lastest TV torrent into and click one botton and change what I have into say mp4 so I can play it. If I have to pay for such a program so be it!
    Last edited by dongraham; 08-02-2015 at 12:27 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Install Windows

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    VLC runs on Ubuntu & all the major Linux distros as far as I know. I run Linux Mint on my old desktop, and that's what I mainly use for videos. Ive never had much of a problem with it, & it plays most formats.

Out of curiosity, if your desktop is only 2 yrs old, why not dual boot windows 7 or 8 alongside Ubuntu? Are you a hardcore, die-hard Linux fan? I know Linux has certain advantages, but when it comes to converting or copying video or DVD, I try to stick with windows. Many more programs available & most are much simpler to use.

You could also consider installing Virtualbox on Ubuntu & running windows on a virtual machine. (Although performance usually isn't up to par on virtual machines, in my experience)
    Last edited by teflon05; 08-02-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Thanks for the suggestion but Windows is out of the question. I like my privacy, after all.

I have used VM with Windows 7 on more then three occasions in the past. I found it to be problamatic at best. I, like so many others, have kicked Window to the curb, in favor of Linux. In the last four years I have not had one virus or sickness afect my operating system.
    Last edited by dongraham; 08-02-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    If you download only scene releases they will always work because all groups follow same encoding standards.

You can search them here before download if you're not sure they're scene:
    http://predb.me/
    Last edited by Arguti; 08-02-2015 at 05:59 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguti View Post
    If you download only scene releases they will always work because all groups follow same encoding standards.

I am not clear how release dates has anything to do with being able to play the show on my operateing system. Please exsplain.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dongraham View Post

I am not clear how release dates has anything to do with being able to play the show on my operateing system. Please exsplain.
    That page index scene and scene only releases, no p2p. I linked it to you because you might not know if a release is scene or p2p. Go to the place where you use to get the files and download only scene releases (all groups follow same standards) and you should be fine with your compatibility problems.
    Last edited by Arguti; 08-04-2015 at 06:06 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Linux will play any format, providing it is created / downloaded correctly. VLC is the best as it includes all codecs required. To transcode files try handbrake. https://handbrake.fr/
    So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.
    - Sun Tzu

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguti View Post

Lets say I am downloading a (TV show) from Extratorrent. How do I tell if it is scene or P2P?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr0 View Post
    Linux will play any format, providing it is created / downloaded correctly. VLC is the best as it includes all codecs required. To transcode files try handbrake. https://handbrake.fr/
    I to like to use VLC. I have installed Handbrake, on a couple of occasions, in the past. I am afraid that Handbrake is way above my pay grade. LOL!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast