Thread: WD laptop hard drive

Unsure

My WD laptop hard drive has problems, windows recognizes it is there but says it needs to be formatted. Is there a good programs that will fix its problems without formatting, as drive has 15,000 songs on it. Tried HDD Regenerator it found most of my files but it froze before it finished. What i need is a program to help me out without losing my files.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Its internal battery is probably just low. Have you tried recharging in the microwave?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    since when a 2.5 hard drive have a battery?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpybear2000 View Post
    My WD laptop hard drive has problems, windows recognizes it is there but says it needs to be formatted. Is there a good programs that will fix its problems without formatting, as drive has 15,000 songs on it. Tried HDD Regenerator it found most of my files but it froze before it finished. What i need is a program to help me out without losing my files.
    I would connect the drive to another PC , by External Case or a Tower (remove from the laptop and you may need a sata cable and power cable as well) .... Transfer the files you want and save it to another drive... And then reformat the drive again...
    It takes more time the way i explained , but at least you won't loose anything you want to keep on the may be damaged or corrupt hard drive.....

Now anything you do to the corrupt drive now you got all of the files you wanted on it...

Edit: And i would make sure the PC you do connect that drive too.... All the antivirus software is updated just in case.........
    Last edited by shaina; 08-04-2015 at 05:27 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    HDD Regenerator could see your files? I thought it worked at the sector level.

Anyway, I'd start with shaina's suggestion of moving the disk to another computer. If you still can't see your files, the partition table might be damaged. There are many ways to scan a disk and restore it, but DiskGenius (included in Hiren's Mini Windows XP, which I'd advice using to ensure non-interference from other programs) is the only one I've personally used and can vouch for.

If you can see your files, but copying fails and/or freezes, the disk is likely very damaged. Unstoppable Copier (also included in Hiren's XP) can be pretty effective there.

Once/if you have recovered your data, you can try running an enhanced ATA Secure Erase on the disk as a last-ditch attempt to find all bad sectors and have the disk remap them. Or maybe find someone selling the PCB for the exact same brand and model and swap them, if you feel adventurous and really want to know where the problem resided. Or just throw it in a bin.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Looks like i loose all my songs computer finds the drive, but as soon as i load a program to fix it it freezes up on me.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Its internal battery is probably just low. Have you tried recharging in the microwave?
    Stop taking the pish. What if he follows your advice, and wrecks the whole drive and loses all of his muzak?

No, the reason it's freezing is obviously because it's cold. Put it in the oven at medium temp and bake it until it reaches a rich golden brown. Put it in the computer straight away, after. Remember to wear oven mitts!

---

More seriously, on top of the other suggestions (also, EaseUS data recovery has worked for me in the past), some people have saved data off of semi-busted drives by putting them in the freezer for a bit (really). But this will probably only work if the problem involves the drive clicking a lot, and will only work for a short while.

So only try this as a last resort.
    Last edited by Snee; 08-08-2015 at 11:10 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Try mounting tool to recover your data, there are number free tools available to do this. If data is bit large then you can use paid tools.