Thread: HSF Recommendations? (1150)

Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Sup

I'm looking to replace my HSF and both case fans with something quieter, I've been reading customer reviews on Amazon and Tom's hardware stuff/Overclockers etc and have found in the past that the advertised sound levels tend to be total BS.

My Base Unit is right next to my head, I'm actually rubbing my face against it right now as I type this, seductively... And I don't mind spending a bit of cash but at the same time I am not insane.

I need recommendations for a Socket 1150 HSF and two case fans, 80mm & 120mm

Currently, for case fans I have dual Sharkoon Silent Eagles and for a HSF I have an Akasa AK-CC7117EP01 K32. Temps aren't too bad, around 39/40 and late 50s at full load...

As I said, this box is right next to my head and currently (when playing anything intensive like GTA) it's sounding like a runway...

(Something where I don't have to access the back of the mobo would be a plus as that would be a total ballache and I plan to do absolutely no overclocking in the future).

The only other noise its producing is from a modern 500W PSU and two fans on an R9 270x

....why does it say mac next to the post......
    Last edited by Mr. Mulder; 08-12-2015 at 12:45 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    My 1950s recommendation is to give her a good right hook.

However, you should just get a pair of headphones. That way, she can bitch all she wants, but you'll only be able to hear the sound effects and love voicemails from 12-year-old boys.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder View Post
    Sup

I'm looking to replace my HSF and both case fans with something quieter, I've been reading customer reviews on Amazon and Tom's hardware stuff/Overclockers etc and have found in the past that the advertised sound levels tend to be total BS.

My Base Unit is right next to my head, I'm actually rubbing my face against it right now as I type this, seductively... And I don't mind spending a bit of cash but at the same time I am not insane.

I need recommendations for a Socket 1150 HSF and two case fans, 80mm & 120mm

Currently, for case fans I have dual Sharkoon Silent Eagles and for a HSF I have an Akasa AK-CC7117EP01 K32. Temps aren't too bad, around 39/40 and late 50s at full load...

As I said, this box is right next to my head and currently (when playing anything intensive like GTA) it's sounding like a runway...

(Something where I don't have to access the back of the mobo would be a plus as that would be a total ballache and I plan to do absolutely no overclocking in the future).

The only other noise its producing is from a modern 500W PSU and two fans on an R9 270x

....why does it say mac next to the post......
    If you can tolerate their strange color schemes, Noctua is the gold standard of quiet fans and heatsinks. Have you looked there?

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=produkte&lng=en

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Their name popped up when searching around but I'd never heard of them. Watching some youtube videos now they seem like the way to go and I can get the whole works for just shy of seventy

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    *Noctua fans are pretty good, but my favourite setup for air-cooling is a Noctua heatsink with Scythe Gentle Typhoons, hooked up to a Zalman fan controller. (Either Noctua's ceramic paste or AS5 to go with that, if that matters.)

Scythe fans are as good, or better, but with less of a constant whoosh-sound, in my experience.

edit: I haven't tried every possible model noctua fan out there. People say their P12's are better than the ones I tried, which were some other 120mm fans. (Mine had shitty pressure, so I had to give them more power, and thus had them running more noisily.)

*People I know have been getting Coolermaster V8's (one of the older model, one gts). They seem good enough, and look cool, if you like things that bring car engines to mind, looks-wise.

*Recently put a Coolermaster Seidon I had lying around into the missus's computer, and it's quiet as fuck. I like it for temps as well. I expect that most closed water-cooling systems from corsair, nzxt and so on will have similar or better performance, and with the closed loop, they're no more hassle than air-cooling. In some ways they are easier to mount, long as you make sure to check the instructions properly beforehand (I didn't, and had a confusing time with a backplate. But that model you wanna avoid, if you don't want to do a reach around on the mobo). Those may be worth looking into as well.
    Last edited by Snee; 08-12-2015 at 10:59 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    My 1950s recommendation is to give her a good right hook.
    However, you should just get a pair of headphones. That way, she can bitch all she wants, but you'll only be able to hear the sound effects and love voicemails from 12-year-old boys.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Swapped out the Sharkoon """""Silent""""" Eagles for Noctuas, a NF-A8 & an NF-F12 - still waiting on the HSF to turn up.

Here's a photo that Windows 10 insists must be sideways at all times.

2pqt99d.jpg

The difference is noticeable! Which leads me to believe that either Noctua is the shit or that Sharkoon is shit. It's a lot quieter now, all I can hear is the shitty Akasa HSF and my failing HDD ticking away like a bag left at an airport.

I've had to connect the fans in a retarded way. My mobo only has one case fan connector and I don't have any 3/4pin pass to molex adapters so I've had to connect an extension cable onto the front fan then a Y cable to connect the back, feeding into that one connector. Which doesn't allow for fan control but I've never used it anyway.

Overall I'm impressed with the quality of them, I even went to the trouble of using their ball-ache silicone grommets. Then when i put it all together and powered it on, after half an hour i realised the whole Box was hotter than the sun. So then I opened it up, realised I put the back fan on the wrong way around and spent another 20 minutes fiddling with silicone (oo-err).

Just need the HSF now and an SSD and it'll be almost silent

edit: temps have improved by almost 10 degrees!1 I’m seeing a lot of 28s and 29s now when browsing
    Last edited by Mr. Mulder; 08-23-2015 at 07:13 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    philquad's Avatar Poster
    i wouldve bought a zalman
    esp. a copper based one

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-CPU-Fan...eywords=zalman