Thread: What is Popular filesharing methods at present

Hey guys.
    Been filesharing for years since the kazaa days, and finally finished off with newsgroups. I've been out the game for a few years and just wondered what was present file sharing method of choice?
    I have used kat a few times but is torrents really the way to go?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Mr_Horse's Avatar n00b
    For my opinion torrents are most dominating method today.
    But old stuff like EDonkey, Direct Connect and even GNUtella still alive!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Horse View Post
    For my opinion torrents are most dominating method today.
    But old stuff like EDonkey, Direct Connect and even GNUtella still alive!
    for starters, torrents definitely.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    EDonkey still alive? Barely. And only if you don't mind waiting weeks for the file. Nothing has changed with it for years, and I believe it's days are numbered.
    Gnutella always good for a single file and a few free viruses.

I use a pretty balanced combo of torrents and usenet myself. I still use SoulSeek occasionally also, for a few hard to find things.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    I use a pretty balanced combo of torrents and usenet myself. I still use SoulSeek occasionally also, for a few hard to find things.
    I like that idea.... But a lot of the older stuff on torrents has zero seeders, so a good Usenet provider (Dutch/Netherlands) seems to help out on that
    And speed up the downloads

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    EDonkey still alive? Barely. And only if you don't mind waiting weeks for the file. Nothing has changed with it for years, and I believe it's days are numbered.
    It's still great for old and rare stuff. Huge queues and the big chunk size ensure retention, so I don't think it'll go away anytime soon, although the userbase has been decreasing since '08.

Also, one of my very first eD2K downloads was an old version of Norton SystemWorks, which ended up being a renamed XXX anal movie. Memories
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    babynology
    CDMessenger is a new and safe method for file sharing to office environment.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    It comes to this simple 2 factors: 1) Are you leecher or 2) Are you seeder? If your leeching then the possibilities are endless. From P2P (Gnutella/eDonkey/Torrent) to DC (fSERV/HTTP), UseNET. Makes no difference you will find it everywhere as multi-network source is a must. Now if your seeding then forget childish torrent and dump all that content on ED2K/KAD. As everyone who looking for it will end up there one way or another. Since thats the absolute /bin for files.

I myself just returned to the whole file sharing scene after I got shutdown in 2010 and dismantle my servers, hell lol I was here 8years ago... I just built one ITX box last week and as of past 48hours OptLynx (master:home) is active and online, while just 6hours ago I setup HyperNode (slave:datacenter).

5tut7d.jpg

So far I transferred 93.116GB home and 3.592GB remote already as serving 4736 files/341 GB. A mere reminisce of my old footprint of 28TB of storage and output of 4TB traffic per month...