Thread: Sound Control

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Now that I have beaten my cooling issues into submission it's time to confront the matter of sound deadening.

Not that this machine is hideously noisy, but it seems likely that some sort of sound insulation might be an improvement.

This is the stuff I'm thinking of using...

It is commonly used in various sound control situations ( recording studios and the like) and is fireproof.

Does anyone have any experience with sound deadening their PC?

I've seen the products carried by the likes of CompUSA, but it's absurdly expensive and you get precut panels. Most of what I have seen is merely 1/8-3/16" thick flat foam with an adhesive back.
    The eggcrate shape of the pictured foam looks like it would be highly effective in dispersing/trapping sound waves.

Comments?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    you could just get the foam and the adhesive you could put it yourself

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I have fiddled with that stuff a bit. It may offer some noise reduction but I'm not sure about that. I think it's more of a psychological thing than real. I didn't have anything to make such precise sound level measurements.

Another thing is that it adds to the dust collection over time.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    Are you like this round the house Clocker? Are you a compulsive cleaner? Do you pick up after people, and wash cups up as soon as you've finished drinking?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i used sound deadening pads called Dynamat in my old mini cooper and it worked! ive put a link to the site as they do a similar product for computers, its thin, self adhesive and you can cut it with scissors. Ive not used the pc stuff so dont know how affective it is but for such a thin product it reduced the noise in my mini by a huge amount. you may find a cheaper similar product in your local car shop. i think using the foam could increase the heat in your pc which is just what you dont need after all your work

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    boyzee,

My entire car is lined with Dynamat.
    Pricey, but very effective.

BillyDean,

No, I am a total slob.

VB,

I was certain that you had beaten me to the punch on this.
    Were you using similar foam to what I pictured, or flat stuff?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Not sure from the pic but the stuff I tried was bumpy too. Maybe not as much as that pic.

I had picked it up at an electronics wholesale warehouse type place.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    This is the stuff available from my local supplier, not bumpy at all. I don't know how good it is, and at nearly £25 per pack it's damned expensive.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.