Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Got a Chromebook?

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

Mary seemed confused. I grew up there.
    The last I knew, you were still there, and I don't remember seeing anything about a move. How long has it been?
    28 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    The last I knew, you were still there, and I don't remember seeing anything about a move. How long has it been?
    28 years.
    Well that is a foot in the mouth... Or a broom handle straight up the Poop Shoot!! Pick your choice Macky

Seriously considering one. Anyone lived with one for a while? Thoughts? Raves? Regrets?
    I'm actually leaning towards an Acer 740 series or one of their R11 with a touchscreen. Don't mind spending up to $400.
    I want to be able to put Kodi on it, so a Linux-friendly processor and 4GB of RAM are necessary.
    Just look at the hard drive space??
    If you don't mind plugging in external hard drives all the time looks great...
    I got my son this one a while back and found it at Staples under $300 on sale with 3 year warranty (battery replacement as well on the warranty uses it for school because the tables were too small for a 15" laptop)..But the downfall of this one is you can only use 2gigs of ram(I see you need/want 4gigs??) but at least a 500gig hard drive

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-X205-11-6-...QEJN2DZ8HSXFR9

And as far as i know you can wipe any operating system on PC laptops and put whatever operating system you want on it
    But Skiz may be able to be more accurate on that answer
    Last edited by shaina; 02-06-2016 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    28 years.
    Well that is a foot in the mouth... Or a broom handle straight up the Poop Shoot!! Pick your choice Macky
    I especially enjoyed that because Mary so rarely gets caught with anything like that.

As for the computer, I actually want to run Chrome. I think there's a lot of potential and it seems some people are quite happy with it. Most of the programs on this Netbook I use constantly to visit with you guys on go unused. I figure it is worth a shot for my online and schools stuff. The touchscreen and ability to run android apps seems like it might be decent, as well. Just wanted to know if anyone else had taken the plunge. The idea of Windows 10 makes my skin crawl.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    As for the computer, I actually want to run Chrome. I think there's a lot of potential and it seems some people are quite happy with it. Most of the programs on this Netbook I use constantly to visit with you guys on go unused. I figure it is worth a shot for my online and schools stuff. The touchscreen and ability to run android apps seems like it might be decent, as well. Just wanted to know if anyone else had taken the plunge. The idea of Windows 10 makes my skin crawl.
    First off.. Any new laptop i would purchase the first thing i do is wipe Windows 10 and put 7 on.. As for touch screen i guess you have to go to at least Windows 8 for that, but your idea of running Chrome might be the right idea..(To me it is a Ipad alternative or competitor )
    The only problem is the Hard Drive space on those laptops, and programs fill it up fast???
    And i couldn't see myself lugging around a external hard drive and plugging it in all the time..
    As i said i bought my son the ASUS 11.6" for school and my daughter we got the 14" ASUS touch-screen for school, it has windows 8 on it and she loves it..

Like i said if you think the Hard Drive is big enough for you, go for it

Does look cool
    Attachment 165529

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Google Drive takes place of large HDD space. Between 32GB SSD, a 64GB SD card, and 100GB online storage, I think I'd be covered.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Google Drive takes place of large HDD space. Between 32GB SSD, a 64GB SD card, and 100GB online storage, I think I'd be covered.
    Sounds Good

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    You're probably used to a traditional laptop that runs Microsoft Windows. You'll need to think a little differently when it comes to using your Chromebook.

Chrome OS looks a lot like the Chrome browser you may have used on that traditional Windows laptop, but it's a full application platform in its own right. You have access to additional software through the Chrome Web Store, and many of the features and functions you'll want can be installed with the click of a button.

But some of the features and software you're used to having on another laptop aren't going to be available. Your new Chromebook isn't going to run Crysis, because Crysis isn't available. The same goes for full Microsoft Office (though Google Docs is a fair substitute for most things, and Microsoft is improving its online Office product regularly).

If you use a laptop to work and play online, chances are your new Chromebook will be perfect, but don't expect to be able to buy third-party software and drop in a CD to install

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12