Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Takedowns - Why Are They Still Happening Despite Scrambled File Names

Ok forgive me as i dont know the right terminology here, for a while my downloads were getting more successful ie less take-downs due to the file names being scrambled or misnamed. Now i seem to be back to square one as many of the recent movies i download from Usenet seem to fail. Whats the reason that these are still being taken down even with misnamed files. Can this be avoided or is it just pot luck?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Obfuscated names just slow down the DCMA. Really it is down to whom you use as a provider.

If you download fast (0/1/2hour) then no real issue. But you want it to last a bit longer then find a provider that is very slow at actioning the DCMA requests.

I use Astraweb and Tweaknews. Astra used to be super quick at take downs but seemed to of slowed greatly nowdays.... Tweak was always my fill server and they are really slow at taking action

Best of luck
    Grib

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    Obfuscated names just slow down the DCMA. Really it is down to whom you use as a provider.

If you download fast (0/1/2hour) then no real issue. But you want it to last a bit longer then find a provider that is very slow at actioning the DCMA requests.

I use Astraweb and Tweaknews. Astra used to be super quick at take downs but seemed to of slowed greatly nowdays.... Tweak was always my fill server and they are really slow at taking action

Best of luck
    Grib
    Thanks for your reply sir,

My provider is supernews. My problem is i download a lot of movies, watch them over a few weeks, then download more, so my downloads can be up to one month old sometimes. Is the only answer try and download them sooner?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Honestly if it is a "big" movie they`ll get nuked within a day or two. But once they become more wide spread they tend to give up I've found.... I`m not aware of a news provider that doesn`t pull posts, just some intentionally make it a much longer process (bonus for us) hence you have a better chance.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    My question is why, with so many other options for downloading files, would anyone want to hunt for missing pieces to a puzzle that only works when you've collected all of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    My question is why, with so many other options for downloading files, would anyone want to hunt for missing pieces to a puzzle that only works when you've collected all of them?
    Meg, sure you can appreciate the joys of no upload and max speed download from the very start. As not "sharing" back (give or take the provider location) you are already anonymous by default. That would be why.

Yes torrents are good but there downsides there too.

Did you have more options that torrents, private ftp, usenet, fileshare(various flavors) or ed2k/limewire etc? Be interesting as those are the only ones I know about

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    I`m not aware of a news provider that doesn`t pull posts
    Gribley....I assume you mean a Usenet provider??

I do And you know it

Meg.. Downloads are all about that speed!!....about that speed!! Speed!! Speed!!
    Last edited by shaina; 02-10-2016 at 02:55 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Speed doesn't amount to anything if you've got to search (and subscribe to) two or more Newsgroup providers in order to begin your search for files that could be taken down at any moment- leaving you with a partial puzzle and now legwork. Not to mention the silliness of having to 'obfuscate' file names...
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Speed doesn't amount to anything if you've got to search (and subscribe to) two or more Newsgroup providers in order to begin your search for files that could be taken down at any moment- leaving you with a partial puzzle and now legwork. Not to mention the silliness of having to 'obfuscate' file names...
    Is that not the point of the nzb section not to have to search yourself? It doesn`t have much + value posting but then cab, toriless etc don`t get anything back in return anyway

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Is there a point to the nzb section?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast