Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Takedowns - Why Are They Still Happening Despite Scrambled File Names

Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Is there a point to the nzb section?
    Those few that bother to post would say yes. You/We/Board have some solid support so that is worth some respect at least

Is there any point in any of this forum .... Some nice people hang-out here and that is about what it is worth for me.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Speed doesn't amount to anything if you've got to search (and subscribe to) two or more Newsgroup providers in order to begin your search for files that could be taken down at any moment- leaving you with a partial puzzle and now legwork. Not to mention the silliness of having to 'obfuscate' file names...
    Well i have never had a problem finding something i want
    And once i download... No worries on that seeding crap as well , and yes there is extracting the rar files, but i can still do it a hell of a lot faster than a full file torrent download
    But when it comes down to dollars and cents for a better service?? Well you got me there Meg on the costing factor
    And the new provider i am using for a while now... I have not had a takedown on anything past or present(and i don't know how they are doing it either)..

Telling me there is no legwork/searching on finding things with torrents?? meaning no seeders, no files. That is never an issue with Usenet , and that is a fact..
    But if you want to save money and don't care how long it takes to download the show/movie etc (like downloading a 20-60gig file that i know you don't download but i do), and having other people feeding off your internet, then that is great for you

I will be honest and sometimes i do use Torrents, but it is my last resort..And it doesn't happen very often

The formula is...

Good Usenet provider + a good NZB source/provider = speed and happy downloads

For me and you ??? No not really here... But the ones i pay for Yes!!!.... either the Nab thing or other people posting a link for me to get the files, yup that is good for me

But honestly... what ever you are used too, and works for the things you want, really who cares what anyone else thinks anyways

What ever floats your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    Is there any point in any of this forum
    Shoot the shit, kill time, and try to make long distance friends, and occasionally have fun or maybe help someone out

Other than that ?? The square root of cock!!!

I think the NZB section is the only thing keeping this site alive, and getting the hits/new members, even know i don't use it...

Just my feelings and opinion
    Last edited by shaina; 02-12-2016 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    It gives your Dad something to do in Hell.

NZB are like Charlie Sheen compared hookers to normal dates. You don't pay for the sex so much as you pay for them to leave.

But then Charlie Sheen has the AIDs.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 02-10-2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    NZB are like Charlie Sheen compared hookers to normal dates. You don't pay for the sex so much as you pay for them to leave after the deed is done.

Fixed
    And that is what the majority people do here Check out the NZB section , pick up what they want and leave ...The deed is done.....

No fuss no mess and no aggravation

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    Obfuscated names just slow down the DCMA. Really it is down to whom you use as a provider.
    Which is why a 'second step' is really needed (like RAR password encryption), just like password protection/authentication (i.e., username PLUS password or even more complex schemes).

Of course, that's what a lot of 'members only' folks/sites use. Lots of folks, however, use an 'open encryption' scheme whereby the passwords are 'in the open' by various methods, some of which require the entire archive to be downloaded and tested before the pw becomes available for use.

So, if one easily figures out the actual name of the file, and goes through the hassle of d/l'ing it, then it's easily recovered. Of course, the bad folks can do the same, but it requires time and effort (read: actual money) to actually do so, and most of the time I'll bet they are so lazy that they don't do it.

Most folks high broadband connection speed (ISP) and newsgroup server (unlimited) is so prevalent, that if those techniques are used prudently, it's rare to see removals.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Really, saw a post today, (that was there), but made me think after I read a comment below the "Thank you" (Which I always give to the hardworking staff!)... so I checked & checked again... yup, sure enough all the plain English were all gone.

(Okay, so tonight I'm watching "The X-Files.S10.E5" with French subtitles... you snooze, you lose.)

EDIT:
    Okay, anyone that viewed episode 5 of "The X-Files" will probably understand "why?" it was removed if they have half a brain.
    Last edited by Stehle; 02-24-2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: 'nuff said.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    For awhile there while I am with Giganews the take downs were pretty fast, but for the past few months, I think they have slowed down. I have got many big name movies old and current. Just makes me wonder. But I was told Usenet providers in EU/UK don't suffer takedowns?

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    We also have takedowns in EU

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Aren't most servers part of one or two main companies/databases?

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Last edited by carto0; 11-13-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast