Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: To be fair on Donald Trump

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

I've not heard anyone call Obamacare "a step", and Roberts is a Supreme Court Justice; he is NOT supposed to be a "leader" - neither is anyone else on the court.
    There is no single way to help the poor receive proper medical attention that fixes the corruption of the medical system and pharmaceutical industries (which are both private). Yes, Obamacare is a step. It will be replaced by something that takes things that work better, reducing the number of issues that are currently in it.

Roberts stepped across partisanship (justices are not members of either 'party', but have shown their leanings prior to receiving the position) to make this step towards helping people in need. THAT is leadership by definition. Doing what is just even in the face of pressures against you.

EVERYONE in public office is supposed to be a leader.
    That last is incorrect, at least as it applies to the Supreme Court.

The Senate MAKES the laws, SCOTUS' job is to examine those laws relative to our Constitution with the rigor of their presumably superior intelligence - PERIOD, END OF STATEMENT.

To state otherwise indicates a fatal misapprehension of the U.S. Constitution - personal opinions to the contrary are not allowed.

In a nutshell, the problem with healthcare is cost, and cost alone; this arises - surprise, surprise - from the fact of 'insurance'.

The minute there was no one on the other end of the line to ask "why in the ever-loving fuck are you charging me $100 for a fucking band-aid", it was off to the races - now whole bureaucracies exist between doctor and patient for no reason other than to extract our cash.

Frankly, if Obama had outlawed insurance, we'd have had about a month's worth of horror stories before the doctors started saying "Hey, c'mon in here; I'll fix that broken leg for $50".

It really is just that simple.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #42
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    What was unconstitutional about healthcare for the poor?

You say the above, then give Obama power to outlaw insurance?

I believe we are mad about the same things, Kev. We just see symptoms of the disease differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    What was unconstitutional about healthcare for the poor?

You say the above, then give Obama power to outlaw insurance?

I believe we are mad about the same things, Kev. We just see symptoms of the disease differently.
    True enough, but it is/was up to the SENATE to get the particulars in order, NOT the court.

As to 'outlawing' insurance, witness Obama's reliance on Executive Orders.

Relative to Obamacare, if he was as serious about it as he should have been, why, beforehand, were we extolled from every quarter with the need (easily discerned) for tort reform as well as the allowance of interstate trafficking of insurance coverage (to allow market forces to have their competitive effect), then we have a mile-thick bill that no one can be bothered to read (remember Ms. Pelosi's admonition to pass the Affordable Care Act so we "can see what's in it") only to discover neither of those absolute necessities was included?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #44
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Average wait time in Emergency in Canada is so long that it's even money on whether you die,heal naturally or get treatment first. http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...atients-report

Two of those are basically free and the other the government ie your taxes cover so at least it's cheap.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Average wait time in Emergency in Canada is so long that it's even money on whether you die,heal naturally or get treatment first. http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...atients-report

Two of those are basically free and the other the government ie your taxes cover so at least it's cheap.
    A member here from back in the day, NikkiD, lived in Port Dover - she owned a landscaping business, and, as I recall, she supported two children as a single parent.

She suffered a knee injury which precluded her working; things could have been (and eventually were) corrected by a very simple arthroscopic procedure, but they took so long to get to her, she lost the business.

Everything I've heard about Canada's NHS is along the same lines, only mitigated if you live (essentially) in Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, Vancouver, or some other metro area.

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #46
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    The ironic thing about universal health care is that the quality of your care is still partly subject to who you are and how much money you make.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    When I think that there's a chance that Trump could be POTUS, I recall that scene in the Dead Zone movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9M34DzAKo and I think, yup he's gonna destroy the world.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Roberts blew it on Obamacare, which idiocy overshadows any positives.
    Obamacare is not about making things better for everyone, it is about improving conditions for the lower 1/3. The corrupt healthcare system we have needs an overhaul. Obamacare is a step, not a complete solution. Roberts showed his ability to see the greater good- which is exactly what a leader needs to do.
    If it was a step then it was a step in the wrong direction. Fewer minorities have health insurance today than 5 years ago.

yo

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    You can see the probs with nationalized healthcare all over the place. Idol just mentioned one of the problems regarding wait times. Mulder said something about it in the mental/bus thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder View Post
    ... but it's the NHS so it'll prolly be just a plant pot in a wig with a tape recorder inside.
    I can't remember who had the kid a few years back (skweeky?) and was constantly posting about her frustrations and going in circles with NHS.

yo

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Well, I took a peek at Obamacare (I don't have insurance, haven't for over 20 years) - I am NOT rich, not even well off (Obama's economy sucks, I've been winnowed down to one contract), but the cheapest plan Obamacare can offer me would cost $1200/month, with a $14,700 deductible...and I don't qualify for a subsidy.

Quite a deal, eh?

On top of all of that, I can't rightfully get it for myself if I don't get it for my employees, can I?

If I told Saint-Gobain my contract was going to cost them an additional $150,000, they'd say, "We love you, baby, but this is goodbye".

-Mark Twain

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345