Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Tadaima, Meiri

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    It took such a long time to get here given 3 years of steadfast intent, but I am home.

I have been flooded with so much input that I can't even parse all that has me smitten about this setting.

I'm abandoning the departure thread because my shared thoughts are focused on the life of the immigrant rather than of the emigrant.

With the exception of camping, I have never spent the majority of so many consecutive days outdoors. In Florida and Colorado, I rarely desired going out... I had to force it. Here, work and sleep are probably going to be the only things to keep me indoors for more than a couple hours at a time. At least, I see it being that way for the next couple of months.

Context: I am in Taito-ku, which is one of the 23 wards of Tokyo. Within Taito-ku or Taito City, I am in the Matsugaya district, which is in between Ueno and Asakusa districts. It's lively, everywhere. You can pretty much go 6 blocks in any direction and feel like you've hit the center. It's simultaneously quiet away from the bigger roads. It's strikingly clean. I'm already trying to figure out how I can stay here forever or at least two years.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 07-05-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: title, because I'm learning stuff
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Have you ever walked around holding in a joyous shout of celebration that would be followed by song and dance if you ever let it out? That's how I've been feeling. When I lose concentration, I find myself mistakenly bearing a big, stupid grin. The signs, the interactions, the mental notes and planning, I'm getting it from all angles.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    "Population density of 18,420 persons per km" or a people in Tokyo like to call it, "the wilderness".
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    You are a small yellow man trapped in the body of a big gangly white person.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    I mean that literally.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Context: I am in Taito-ku, which is one of the 23 wards of Tokyo.[...] here forever or at least two years.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-28-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    One rode over the ku-ku line

8. Lounge   -   #8
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Glad you found your happy place, Mary!
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    "Population density of 18,420 persons per km" or a people in Tokyo like to call it, "the wilderness".
    That's about 0.02 people every square meter, which takes about 12 cuts per person and considerable arm muscle stamina.

I can see that though because there aren't many high-rises in this part of Tokyo. I always thought population densities should be expressed per unit area and per unit volume based on average building height or something similar.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 06-28-2016 at 03:01 PM.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    You are a small yellow man trapped in the body of a big gangly white person.
    I barely reach 5'11", weigh about 180 lb, and have broad shoulders.

Gangly? Are you a casting agent for Game of Thrones or something?

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast