Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Play MKVs on Media Player

I have been using the site for quite a few years and occasionally I would download an MKV that would play on my laptop but would not play on my Sumvision Cyclone Media player.

This has gradually gotten worse and none of the last half dozen downloads will play on the Media Player but player perfectly well on the laptop.

Anyone else having problems or is it just me ?

I have changed from 1080 to 720 to see if it makes a difference but both the same. The old films that I still have are all working perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated

Bill

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Update the firmware for your media player, if possible. Sounds to me like it doesn't support new video compression standards.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yeah, I bet the .mkv files that your player can't decode are x265 rather than x264.
    I have the same problem with an older TV which refuses to have any truck with HEVC compression.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I have just updated the Firmware on both players, reformatted the hard drive of one and copied the files back over and still no joy on either of the players

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by BillHassall View Post
    I have just updated the Firmware on both players, reformatted the hard drive of one and copied the files back over and still no joy on either of the players
    Download the same films/shows again, but make sure that you're not downloading anything with the HEVC x265 codec. Do a test with a single file first.
    It'll be much easier than converting the files you've got.

I imagine, then, that the new files will work ok.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    use Xiliisoft video Converter to convert it to avi or mp4 first...until a real solution is found

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I personally use Handbrake to convert video format, works extremely well.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Or you can just change your media player. I've never had any problems with VLC.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Just throw it away and get a Rasp Pi running and load up LibreElec (a whole cost of £30) I don`t have any issues with this (x4 rooms) regardless of compression formats and you get a whole lot more than just video playback. Just my opinion, keep on going with the sumvision if you are really attached to it and good luck

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks for the replies

I am still having intermittent problems with certain files, both X264 and X265. I have used Handbrake to convert and it didn't make any difference.

Looks like the Sumvision can go into the bin and move to an alternative, will have a look at the Rasp Pi and see if that fits the bill

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast